This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix and Edge integration - best practices

I´m using a Fenix 6 and a Edge 530 to ride. I tested some solutions:

- use each one individually, the problem with this solution is that they generate two activities that hinder training statistics.

- use the Edge as an extended screen (the menu is difficult to access and the connection is not the easiest, it is often stuck waiting for the clock) but after it works it is interesting but the map view on the Edge is lost.

any other solution?

• Use both during the ride, but only save the activity from one of the devices and throw away the other.

• Another solution is to use the Fenix in heartrate broadcast mode and (especially if it's cold) leave under your clothing.  That way you'll get full stats for the day without relying on Garmin's buggy TrueUp sync attempts. 

The alternative is simply to leave the Fenix at home (which is what I do) and wear a chest strap for heart rate, which is much more accurate especially on a bike and saves weight. 

• Both of the above solutions will work fine.

I also have both of those devices and this is what I do. I use the 530 to record my ride, and I wear an external HR monitor connected to it. I also wear my Fenix during my ride, but leave it as just a watch. That way, it'll still update my body battery during my ride. 

• I have both the 530 and the F6, and use Physio True Up to integrate activities from each of the devices.

Make sure PTU is turned on for both devices, and sync with Garmin Connect before an activity to ensure a common starting point. You can then record a ride on the 530, and it will show up (after syncing) on the F6, or a run on the F6 and it will show up on the Edge, along with integrated Training Load, etc metrics. No need to record on both.

I use the Extended Display for triathlons or brick sessions, but not for regular riding - fewer datafields and no map mean this isn't really the best way of doing things.

On epic rides (where I would be upset if it didn't record), I do record on both, but I discard rather than save on the watch once I am sure it has saved on the 530 - this allows for redundancy, but avoids duplicates.

One other option would be to record on both, but have them syncing to different GC accounts. This avoids duplicates, although I haven't personally explored this option.

• I 100% record the ride with my Edge 530 + HR strap (+ power, speed, Di2 sensors) and just take the f6x Pro along for the ride so I get Intensity Minutes. 
    It seems you need to sync each device once or twice manually after the ride to make sure all the metrics line up, it’s a bit frustrating that it just doesn’t happen smoothly in the background.

• Thanks all. After some tests I'm using Extend Display too because of Suggested workout of day. If I use as a separated devices I didn't get notifications of power range during a programmable exercise.

• I am using an extended display but the heart rate measurement seems to be quite inaccurate. I have fenix 7 and edge 530. I am broadcasting from fenix 7 to edge and during very strenuous interval training sessions, the fenix shows 80-90 to be the average heart rate. So is generating two activities and removing one of them a good solution? Would this estimate VO2 max also?

• On the off chance you see this notification; do you still do this? Still happy with the outcome? I'm familiar with my BB draining at a sort of linear rate when I used a Fenix to record rides, but now I use an Edge and strap, the watch is seeing much higher stress as it is not "aware" it is an activity. Not sure which is better really!