This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Route Calculation error

Hi everybody, 

I use my garmin to navigate on races, and during a race if you go out of the course you should get back to the point you left.

That is the reason I use the routing mode "Straight Line".

I was testing this setup today (this is a new garmin from warranty, I used this settings in my last race in September), and I kept having a message on the screen every 5 seconds saying "Route Calculation error", really anoying, but the garmin would continue to update the course and even the virtual partner.

I tried to change the routing mode to pedestrian, gravel cycling, mountain biking, and with those options I got the same error but the map was not updated as I rode.

please help, this really anoying and I simply can't navigate properly because the error message ocuppies 1/3 of the screen.

• That is what I did and describe on the thread above when I open it. I change it to gravel cycling  (and pedestrian) and then used recalculation = off, but what happen then was that I still had the error, but the maps did not update my position as I move forward...

On a straight Line there should not be any routing problems, that's the reason I use this option

thanks for your help anyway...

• Is any news how to solve? I was in tour with lot of people, some of them as same as me was used garmin 530, and here for some of these users was the same problem and for others with the same route was fine. how to explain? where is the problem, here I only see a bug on garmin. after I press ok on calculation error I'm not expecting to see the same error on screen every 5 sec for unlimited time. Just ok, there an error and ok, I know. max 3 times could appear this error on screen. And finally this is not the end, After I leave the course for a little, and garmin display just freeze for hour or more. So the question, how to navigate? how to update maps, if it's old? whats happening? how to use device?

• You update maps by plugging the device into a computer running Garmin Express.

• Where to get the new maps?

• Disabling the mtb maps worked for me in solving the problem

• I have that problem too. I use a MTB trail circle route, which I know can be completed ok. The map may not have all the smallest trails in it, but the route is good to go. I just want to follow the prepared and saved route, that's all. But my navigator keeps throwing me with this "route calculation error" so I can hardly see my map and my route. So annoying!

• Turn off route calculation for mtb, just follow the loaded course without navigation.

• Simply what you can do, you need to upgrade your device over garmin express app, by plugging your device to PC. No any other way are developed for garmin update. Comment from garmin support: “The updates are available via computer as the files are too large to be reliably downloaded over Wifi, we recommend syncing with GarminExpress occasionally to ensure the mapping stays up to date and the device is running the most recent available software version.” 

• What worked for me was to plugin the garmin to the pc and update the maps, although I still get the error from time to time it's not every 5 seconds, it's exporadic. Also when leaving the course and then coming back to it, edge loses the course fix. I don't know why garmin can't fix this!!!!!

• For me similar issue and was solved:

complete a full reinstall of the mapping following the steps below: 

1. Plug device into computer
    2. Open This PC/Computer/My Computer
    3. Open Garmin device drive
    4. Open Garmin folder
    5. Delete all .img files that are larger than 50mb
    6. Re sync with Garmin Express, this may take a while
    7. Safely eject the device from the computer

If you are completing on a Mac, please ensure you clear the trash between step 6 and 7.