This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

When Garmin will release the next version of the Edge 530 (maybe 540 or 530+)

Somebody knows when Garmin will release the next version of the device Edge 530 (I guess Edge 540 or 530 Plus)?

Will it be this year 2021. There is some rumors in forums talking about April 2021. Is it true?

What will be the new features of this device?

Thank you in advance!

• I've been active on this forum partly because I really want a new 530 for the trail mapping features.  I currently have a 130 and fortunately everything mostly works as it should, except for battery life, which I've solved with an external battery pack.  That said, a 530 would be a nice upgrade to get Trailforks, if it didn't have the issues I see reported.

The point is... Garmin is missing out on lots of sales because they can't fix basic stuff, like sensor dropouts.  There is no way I can justify upgrading to a 530 when they can't even keep the sensors connected.  I wish Garmin would concentrate on making everything work smoothly rather than add more features (that may not even work).  I don't even need all the features the 530 currently has, but I don't want to deal with basic issues like sensor drops.

If Garmin doesn't get it together, I might end up as a Wahoo Bolt V2 convert...

• Real talk: I’d buy an Edge computer right now if it weren’t for the micro-USB port. I’m holding out to see if the next gen has USB-C.

• the same for me. I have a 530 with a broken micro usb (and I had similar problem with micro USB in tablet and smartphone in the past). Garmin asked too much for the repairs, so I bought a 40 dollar computer with USB-C... 

• Same. Micro-USB was already outdated when the current Edge devices where introduced.
    I'm fine with legacy technology, long lasting devices which are produced and serviced over long time. Like the Garmin eTrex Series with AA-Batteries. But in case of the Edge Explore, Edge 530 and Edge 830 we need:

• longer battery runtime or even better AA-Batteries (it isn't long with sensors and usual display brightness)
    • USB-C
    • Please use the ACCELEROMETER for device position and speed alongside of GPS. It is already built-in and not used for anything else then crash detection. Planes and cars use it for navigation for many years, because it is autonomous and doesn't stop due to mountains, tunnels, skyscrapers, parking garages and so on. Always know you fast you are and no more straight lines on GPX-Tracks Slight smile
    • BONUS: Display size of Edge Explore for 530 and 830 (1030 is already to big for many, don't repeat the mistakes of smartphones)
    • BONUS: 4G Connectivity (Smartphone not required)
    • BONUS: Group Track is a little clumsy. Can we update the position more frequently? Make it better visible? See also above.
    • BONUS: Wireless data exchange through an open protocol specification in addition to mass storage (mass data storage is perfect on Linux, but better is the enemy of good?)
    • BONUS: Better re-routing (not my issue, but a lot desire improvements)

Tell me if I missed something which is feasible and helpful?

• Mandatory: give the option to disable virtual partner
    • Mandatory: give the option to disable turn by turn alert without stopping the record of a ride.
    • Mandatory: give the option to changing route while recording a ride
  • You can do the last one of your above list already and I think also the second

• No, if you are following a route you can't choose to follow another route you have on the device if you don't stop the recording. I do MTB and I create my routes at home with Basecamp and then I upload the routes on my device. Sometimes I found that the route is impossible to do and I would like to have the option to choose another route without stopping the activity recording. This is not possible and it's mentioned also here:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/232860/editing-changing-route-while-recording-ride

Also regarding turn by turn you have the option to turn on or off only before you start your route. I would like to have the option to disable tourn by tourn when I approaching home and I now where to go...

• You can stop a course and start another course while the activity is running on the 530. If the new course is already on the unit.

Press the top right button while following a course. Then select stop course.

The Menu changes and now adds Find a course. Now select find course, pick course, ride

• Some worthwhile enhancements but I have to say that (for me at least) the current 530 battery is great, my device is over 12 months old now but I still get more than 40-45 hours, more than 700kms, for shorter rides this can be 12-15 rides with a wi-fi sync at the end of each. I don't use phone connection during rides and no back-light unless it is actually dark when 10% is enough. These numbers are without using the "battery save mode" and while following a course but without "turn guidance". The screen is great under most daylight conditions.

Just to show I too have gripes I hate the direction arrows / chevrons on courses, please a disable switch for them.

• BONUS: Better re-routing (not my issue, but a lot desire improvements)

Well the 1030+ plus has sensible re routing so any new unit should have that re routing built in.

I would like to have the option to disable tourn by tourn when I approaching home and I now where to go...

In that situation just stop the navigation.