This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

530 does not start recording

For the past 2 rides, I have selected the activity and started it, but the readout shows 0.00 distance and 0.00 mph for most of the ride, and then it starts recording distance and speed at some point during the ride. I've tried to reset the device as well as make sure that I'm running the latest firmware, but is there anything else I'm missing to try to get it to actually work correctly?

• Have you made sure you have GPS lock before starting?

• I would also be curious if you are seeing a message about GPS lock. It would be helpful to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky, and run an activity for at least 10 minutes after a signal has ben acquired. This will effectively be a GPS "soak" and will help us determine if you are still able to lock on to a good signal. 

Also, feel free to respond here with what GPS version you are running in your About menu on the device. 

• I'm guessing that probably is the culprit. Is there a way to expedite that process? Sometimes it seems to take 5-10 minutes for it to go past the "acquiring satellites" status. My perception of time can definitely be off while I'm waiting to start a ride but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help it along.

• If you don't have up to date almanac data for the satellites you're locking onto, then that can cause a delay. Making sure to sync regularly through Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile will aid in this. Also, if you were to record another activity right after your GPS Soak, it should acquire a signal much quicker. 

• First time out of the box…this is happening to me.  Did not record my ride. Hope to figure out how to get it to work soon.  Otherwise, will look for refund soon.

• So after riding with it for a few years I've figured out a way to check on it. After I power it up and select the activity (but before starting it), I go to the screen with the map and if it says "locating satellites" I leave it just for a minute but most of the time I just power it off (hold power button and choose "power off") and then restart it. Once I do that and go through the same steps it usually shows "ready to navigate" and it's good to go. 

• This Happened on my most recent couple of rides. Even the cadence sensor shows 0 for a while

• My 530 won't start recording until I reach 5mph or so. Auto Pause is set to When Stopped.

Edit - I changed it to Custom Speed (2mph) to see if the behavior improves.)

• Did anyone find the solution to this? Same thing happens to me - just keeps auto pausing 

• Consider turning auto pause off.  You still get moving time vs. elapsed time in both GC and Strava when you're done.  Breaks are part of the ride, I let them Garmin run for the whole time, then still get to see moving vs. total time when I'm done, moving average speed vs. total average speed, etc.  It's one less think to worry about with it turned off.