This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

V02 Max lower when training indoors

Hi All, hope someone can help here.

I am MTB'er, Covid has forced my training indoors more than I would like. After a few of weeks indoor training, my V02 Max dropped 2 points, causing the training status to continuously go into unproductive. The moment I go for an outdoor ride, the VO2 Max, goes up again and I get productive again. I continue to go through this cycle and the training status is basically useless. My overall training load is pretty much consistent.

I get that for me atleast an outdoor MTB ride is different, lots more short bursts of high power on the climbs and no cadence when you ride the trails, compared to indoors where cadence is pretty much constant and longer lower power variations.

I use the same power meter for both indoor and outdoor rides, calibrate it regular, and its a recent one that is supposed to compensate for temperature variations. 

I understand that V02 Max as such is not directly measured, its an algorithm from First Beat using Heart Rate Variability, but it seems to me they still have some work to do to make more robust and reliable.

If anyone out there has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

• It's pretty common for estimated VO2Max to be lower indoors. And the reason has to do with heat management.

With outdoor riding, the natural airflow keeps you cool, and your heart rate reflects the physical effort you are putting into the pedals.

When indoors on the trainer, there is no natural air movement, and your heart rate is typically higher than the same effort outdoors, as the heart is working harder to circulate blood to the surface of the skin just to keep you cool. A higher HR for the same effort means a lower VO2Max estimate.

The solution lies in improving your indoor cooling setup. Lowering the air temperature where possible (eg. leaving a window open), and additional and more powerful fans. Experienced indoor cyclists will typically use 2-3 fans, and as powerful as they can get (carpet blowers are the latest fashion items for on-trend Zwifters Grin).

• Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I am kicking myself for not realizing this. will try some fans!

• I hadn't thought about this - but makes total sense.

I do my indoor training outdoors on rollers. At the moment, being in the UK, that's pretty cool. Maybe the heart has to work extra hard to keep the body warm? although this is normally on for the first 4-5 minutes. I tend to wear a couple of extra tops that i take off after 5 minutes.

MB