This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident detection sensitivity on 530

Initial ride with an Edge 530 (KEdge combo mount with Niterider light) and the incident detection went off at literally every stop light, road crossing or any time I came to a stop regardless of slowing rate. Only time it didn't go off was for a panic stop. Anyone have similar before I reach out to support? It can't be this sensitive and be correct.

520 Plus on same bike with the light has never gone off at a stop; in 2 odd years with the 520 I think the detector has gone off maybe 3 times.

• When I had it enabled it went off at the same junction 9 times out of 10 so had to switch it off.

• Mine would go off couple of times every ride.  no particular circumstances, pretty random.  I have now turned it off.

• Given it is a new 530, I'd contact Garmin Support - it is not meant to be THAT sensitive. It is supposed to detect a large G event, followed by no movement. Obviously yours is picking up even small G events.

• A few more rides in on same bike and:

-K-Edge mount without light; works normally

-Zipp Quickview combo mount with or without light (and light on and off); works normally

-lowering the K-Edge about 1 degree (putting it inline with 6 degree stem); works normally

So either the mount type/angle is on impact or it "learns" what works.

• Also getting a spate of false alarm incident detections to the consternation of my wife, after a couple of years of reliable use (though it did detect those 2 times I did come off, big panic to cancel the alarm, before it phoned home). British roads are certainly more rough and potholed these days but I've no idea where it's happening and I never see the cancel alert screen. It seems from other threads the sensitivity can't be adjusted manually or in settings? Has anyone else found a better solution than just turning incident detection off which is what I'll do for the time being?

• Hi

Which profile are you running? In the MTB profile I'm able to run rough trails and also small jumps without any alarm. The first time it activated last week, when I hit a rock on a alpine trail very hard which caused the fork to knock trough and I could avoid an OTB in extremis.

• I'd recommend making sure the software on your Edge is fully updated and that you are using the Garmin mount that came with your Edge (if you are currently using a third-party mount).

If you've done these things and are still getting several false alerts during your rides, I'd recommend reaching out to your local support at support.garmin.com for us to look into this further for you.

• Sorry to hear you have the same issue - I have the Road profile set - from the time stamp it must happen just short of traffic lights (i.e. the bike is then stationary - mimicking a fall) and my attention is obviously elsewhere (the traffic lights) rather than my Garmin, so I don't see the alarm to unset it.

We are talking uneven manhole covers or worn road surface here - I don't take my fancy carbon rims through anything gnarly and never through potholes! 

The 530 is on the proprietary Garmin mount, and it's fully updated and synced etc. I guess the device is about 2 years old.

I bought it through Garmin UK - maybe time to email support. 

• I can repeatedly set off the incident detection on my 530 by braking to a stop at traffic lights. I just turned it off and haven't used it for nearly a year.

• I have only had my 530 for one month and, like Fursty_Ferret, I am setting off incident detection when I make fast stops at stop lights. It has happened twice this weekend. Very frustrating. Incident detection is now turned off. It is mounted on the Garmin Out-Front Bike Mount, and has the latest updates. There was no kind of impact, and the bike was in a vertical position.

I like the concept of emergency notification if something happens, but I am not going to enable the feature again until this type of issue is resolved.