This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 doesn't detect WIFI

Hi all,

I'll ask here before reaching out to garmin support.

My edge 530 stopped detecting WIFIs. It is either 'empty name' with failed connection or a row of <?>. It seems to wrongly encode names of WIFI. They are not in some unknown alphabet, just latin alphabet. There are multiple WIFI around me, it doesn't find ANY. It shows only one and either empty or with these symbols <?>

I don't have a video of my own, but it is basically the same as here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/iz347e/garmin_edge_530_wifi_connection_issues/

It used to work fine, stopped working sometime ago (I haven't needed it), but I'd like to fix it. Manually entering name of the WIFI did nothing, still not connecting despite being literally 5 centimetres from the modem.

Anyone had any luck?

Thanks

• Let me reply to myself. I managed to connect to WIFI with my Edge 530. The steps I've taken:

1. I split WIFI signal from two bands(2.4 GHz/5GHz) to two separate SSID, each one with one band attached. My modem/router allows it.

2. Then I put Edge basically 10 cm from internet modem. Edge itself still shown empty WIFI SSID or unknown marks with erros while trying to add it through connect to found networks feature.

3. After above I manually added WIFI through Edge 530 itself (Settings>Connected features>WIFI>ADD network if I remember correctly). I entered SSID network for 2.4GHz and password with buttons. I also minded capital letters in SSID

4. Edge managed to connect and now it reconnects no issue to my home network.

What I think it is related to some WIFI names and feedback information from WIFI encoding, hence the question mark symbols or no name at all (I think it shown one WIFI from my neighbour, but it dissappered after some time as well). What is strange is that it used to work no problem before so I'm not sure if this is any firmware issue for 7.00 or earlier. Last time I paired my FW was like somewhere between 3-5.XX

The naming/error messages were basically like this, this is the symbol that Edge shown for some WIFI:

• Hi,

I have a brand new Edge 530 and the exact same problem. Tried to recreate your steps but still no luck. Could you post the settings of your WIFI bands (without the PW of course). Thanks.

• I had a similar problem and solved it by changing network security settings from "WPA-PSK/ WPA2-PSK" to "WPA2-PSK" only. Now my Edge 530 connects flawlessly. Give it a try.

• Same issue and this did the job for me! Thanks for sharing! 

• Thank you!!! This fixed the issue for me (changing to WPA2-PSK).

• Same exact problem for me. Changing the network security settings to WPA2-PSK unfortunately didn't work. Neither did a mobile hotspot, or a new guest network on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. What's weird is there are about 20 wifi networks visible to my other devices, but what the Garmin picks up seems totally random - occasionally it's blank, sometimes a bunch of 'unsecured' networks, sometimes properly named networks, but mostly  � type networks. 

• I have had exactly this issue too. I bought myself a new router with dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. SSIDs would not be recognised on the Garmin. I'm running newer Edge software versions of 8.00 then updated to 8.20. The issue didn't resolve itself, until i left my apartment and took my old wireless router with me. Only then I was able to find my Wi-Fi router and connect to it.

I can only assume the environment I was in was causing the wifi signals to scramble, whether that was caused from my apartment, or from neighbours.

• I have the same issue with a brand new device. Won't pick up any Wi-Fi networks, sometimes random 'unsecured networks' you can't join, sometimes blank or with masked  �.

Did you get it sorted or what have you done?

• Hi,

Yes, but also no. I have a mobile Wi-Fi. Basically I took the Wi-Fi box away from my apartment (150km away) and randomly thought I'd check to see if I could find its SSID. And it worked.

As soon as I came back to my apartment, the problem began again with not finding other SSID's. However, the Garmin had already found my WiFi box before, so I believe it is connected.

So it's fixed in that I have the connection to my WiFi, but the core problem still exists. So, if you have a mobile WiFi, I suggest moving it away from your location where there's little other signal interference and trying your luck.

Others on forums have suggested it could be down to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz dual frequencies working together from the same router. If you create two separate SSIDs for both frequencies, it might fix the issue. I think I had tried this before but it didn't work for me.

Sorry, I can't help you much more than this. But hopefully I was more help than Garmin Techinal service who basically said they'll replace my unit. I'm still waiting for the unit to arrive.

• Yes it suddenly started working a while back. Didn't do a firmware update or anything. Definitely think it was something to do with WiFi network interference. It just suddenly picked up my actual network and connected Thinking