This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530, firmware version 6.0 with multiple live segment bugs, crashing navigation

All my tests are run as follows:
Latest firmware 6.0 installed,new route created on Strava, multiple segments on route are starred. The Garmin app finds the route under "Training" and shows all segments correctly with violet flags.

While navigating the route the problems start.
Almost all segments show up in the point list, but only the END of the segment.
Accordingly, all those segments do NOT TRIGGER a live segment. Interestingly I get a message the the segment ended when I cross the ending of it by bike.
This behavior is true for 97% of all segments.

There are 3% of segments that show up with the correct name of the segment (in version 5.5 it was segment_start, but for many more segments) and  "segment_end" in the point list.
I get a message that the segment is about to start at the correct location, but when entering the live segment mode I get: "GPS lost" and the LIVE SEGMENT CRASHES along with the NAVIGATION. Again, going into live segment mode ends the navigation.
I restarted the route multiple times and crashed immediately in the next segment. For all segments that triggered the same behavior.

The history of failures with live segment makes me understand that live segments will never work well, but this is much worse than before.
With firmware version 5.5 at least 40% of live segments triggered.
What about implementing a mode in which the segments start and end are visible in the map without doing anything else.
Right now there is no information about segment start and the end "flag" is not well visible. Why not keep the green circle and red square? Those could be seen on the map. While cycling I cannot see the checkerboard flag that marks the end. The start does not exist at the moment for 97% of the segments.

• Update: Today the problem still persists. For the first time 3 segments worked as desired.
    For 3 other segments the same behavior as described above with the need to restart the route. Each time immediately after the segment triggered, going into segment mode, the edge goes "off route" and cancels the segment and also the navigation.
    One segment did not trigger. 

• Gonna do my first ride on 6.0 later, just a question with something that I ran into with earlier firmwares: With 6.0, do you still have to manually stop the segment after completing it? With previous version, if a segment triggered while navigating, it was always the first one and I had to manually select "Stop Segment" after completing it to have a fighting chance that the other segments on the route trigger. 

• I had no chance to do anything -- it goes: 1. segments starts in  x m  ..  2. live segment starts and 3. off segment and simultaneously ends navigation. 
    I assume that the crashes are GPS related. 
    The non-existing starting points of the segments can be avoided if I unstart / restar a segment in strava.
    All segments not starred after firmware version 6  do not have a starting point. All newly starred appear to have one.

Also, not related to the topic: To get new routes loaded into the device (garmin app-> training -> course upload to device) I need to turn off the edge and turn it on again. Otherwise the route does not show up. That is also new to version 5.5.

• Still new to using navigation and it crashing due to “off segment” got me lost today 

• Have the same issue.. glad that i am not here alone..

solution would be more than welcome!

• Update for firmware version 6.2:

The problem still persists. Usually, segments that are indicated on the map with a white triangle on white ground (instead of the former visible red dot) go "off segment" once triggered and make navigation crash immediately, such that navigation has to restarted.
    Interestingly, most of these segments (white triangle to start, checkerboard flag to end) do not correspond to any segment I marked in Strava. This is new compared to firmware 6.0.
    Overall, especially as nothing changed in the new version, I conclude that Garmin does not care about this problem.
    In the current form, Strava live segments are unusable and must be turned off. I already regret the Strava subscription and even more going for a Garmin device in the first place.
    Again, it would be great to just have the red circle and green square (for better visibility compared to white on white marks) on the map to indicate beginning and end of segments, without triggering anything and crashing navigation.
    This could be a fair compromise for many Strava users, for which the device became pretty useless now.

• This is very frustrating as there are lots of segments that do not come up on my 530 or when they come up finishes very quickly.  I have had my unit for 3 months now and are very disappointed with how Garmin does not rectify these issues.  I know few on Wahoo units with no such issues.  I think it's time to contact Garmin and request a refund as the unit does not perform like it says it should.  Very disappointed. 

• I don t understand , i have the segments on the edge , with a green line but I haven’t a pop up to start the segment . It s so complicated .... I had a wahoo ELEMNT and it was fantastic for that . Please find a issue , why ... when I cycle without navigation i have the segment but with navigation nothing . 

• Since a week, roughly when you wrote the comment, I see the same issue now.
    During navigation >95% of the segments do not trigger any more (maybe none at all, I am not sure if I had navigation turned off when it happened). Consequently navigation did not crash since then.

No segments are incorporated into a (newly created) Strava route, visible from the Connect app.
    There are only red segment end signs visible in the map, but no green trigger signs. The new and hard to observe white triangle and checkered flag are gone. 
    I am not sure if a larger portion of segments triggered without navigation, but at least some did for sure.

It would be great if somebody reading this could explain the new live segment behavior. 
    Is there a changelog or some kind of explanation from Garmin how things work now?
    Is there a page where these changes are announced or explained? 

Thanks.

• change log is very poor explained but very “detailed” comparing to wahoo releases

I sow also that if the segments begins near to an junction, an navigation triggers an turn alert, then the segment it will start with empty data or will not trigger at all, 

try the following test, put navigation in text (not map ) alert,  

i have tested also with wahoo roam, and for segments that are in the forest, or in area with not so good coverage, device loose the segment after a while, without any notification, so I am afraid that gps is not that great or segment implementation   does not allow big errors