This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Route Recalculation

Just want to put out a reminder to my fellow Garminians : When u have recalculation enabled - and it kicks in when u venture off the planned route - it will make the unit abandon your planned route and it will set a NEW course to your destination based on it's own criteria. So you'll lose your initially loaded route TOTALLY.

Recalculation DOES NOT return you to your planned route. In some cases it might look like you're back to your route - but that's only because that happens to be the only route choice also available to the algorithm. By then you would have lost your initial loaded route / course and am now riding on one that is created by the recalculation to your destination. 

One would expect recalculation to mean take me back as soon as possible to my route but that's not how it works. Perhaps the algorithm for something like that is beyond the computations of the 530 (battery usage and CPU). Understanding the way recalculation works is important to not getting confused by the unit when u venture off the route. And not ending up with a less preferred NEW route loaded into your 530 while riding.

So in conclusion i think it's better to operate with the route recalculation DISABLED. I don't want my planned route cancelled whenever the 530 thinks i'm off course.

• Thanks for pointing this out.
    Does this also affect live segments?
    Strava segments are cemented into the initial route, hence, according to your findings, it is likely that route recalculation makes live segments not trigger, even after being back on course? 

• Another pro tip - might be useful also to save short snippets of a route. So when u are off course u can get the 530 to point to the START of the course. It will get u to the start of the course reliably from where u are. It just can't get u back to the middle of the course (where u hopped off).

• Looks like another victim of the infamous 'recalculate' function ?

www.youtube.com/watch

• So in conclusion i think it's better to operate with the route recalculation DISABLED.

I prefer PROMPTED. At least that way I can decide if road closures, mechanicals, etc are drastic enough to let the unit get me back to my start point.

If you don't recalculate, and just get back to the course, it will pick that up and continue to navigate you following the course.

• Tried automatic re calculation them prompted options, hated the two options, they do a big mess, many times you are at the course, you're just fine so it detects that you are "out of the route" then re calculate the whole thing or keep prompting again and again if you want to re calculate getting you crazy.

I'll try to disable all of this and keep paying attetion if I'm inside the course on the map.