This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I download a GPX roue to Garmin edge 530

Hi new to all this,

I just want to download a GPX file directly to Garmin edge from my computer, how do I do it?? I can do it through Komoot but would just like to plug into my laptop and download. Ive tried basecamp wiithout success...

• Copy the file to "\Garmin\NewFiles" on the drive that shows up when you plug your Garmin in.

The file will be converted the next time you start the Garmin.

• Thanks!! Easy when you know how... What do you think is the best way to create a route, is it base camp (seems complicated) or something like Komoot then transfer over?? 

• For navigation, the Garmin Edges use a "track" file, which contains enough points to accurately traces the curves and turns of the path you want to travel. As long as you get that, it doesn't matter what planner you use. (It doesn't really matter what format you use either; You can use fit, gpx, or tcx, as long as it's a track).

The big advantage of BaseCamp is that it doesn't need internet access. But there are easier ways of creating the route (as a track).

I use Ridewithgps (usually). It's a good and popular planner. Lots of people use Garmin Connect. I haven't done much with Komoot but it's fairly popular too (and no reason it wouldn't be fine to use).

Basically, all the route plannersl do the same thing and will produce track files that will work equally well.

Once you learn how to use one planner, it's generally easy enough to learn another.

• Another way is to upload the GPX file into garmin connect by importing it as a course. This can be done on a PC or just opening the file on Android it offers the Connect App. Then it can be synced as usual over BT, WiFi or USB. The same works for any source of GPX once you have the file. Since there's more than one implementation of the open GPX format* putting it into Connect will help avoid compatibility issues.

Prior to the recent Strava integration I used to download a GPX file from strava and open in Connect to move a course between platforms. I prefered this to the IQ App because i could do it all over Wifi to the Garmin (which has now unfortunately stopped wifi downloading!).

*I think this is part if the reason Garmin prefer their own file types.

• While there are problematic GPX files, they aren't that common. Nor is it clear that using Connect would help avoid compatibility issues (you might just be having the same problem in a different place).

In any case, it seems the OP's real interest is in what route planner to use.

There are lots of them and most (if not all) will produce files that will work on the Edges. GPX compatibility is a non-issue because you can use FIT or TCX (there's no reason to use GPX unless that's the only thing you have).

Copying the file (as I showed) is a simple thing (whether it's FIT, TCX, or GPX).

Of course, it is useful to know there are other ways of getting courses to the units.

• Thanks that’s a great help! 

• You're welcome.

I wrote a "workbench" program that makes copying files to the Garmins a bit easier. It also makes managing the files on the device easier.

(It's $3.50 but there's a month trial.)

https://sites.google.com/view/grouteloader/grouteloader?authuser=0

• Thankyou for making it easy!!