This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 pair and Bontrager Flare RT lights

I can't seem to find any info if the 530 will pair with these lights. Can anyone help?

• It will work. I used that combination before moving to Wahoo and it worked flawlessly. ANT+ light support is one of the things I miss with Wahoo.

I configured the Flare RT to start in blinking mode as soon as I start an activity on the Edge 530. It worked flawlessly.

• I run Front and rear on my 530 and they work brilliantly. The setting which worked best for myself was to have them set up "Individually" this maintained the correct flashing profile I wanted. As below, had them to turn on/off with activity start/stop.

• It should be noted that there are separate light mode settings for the whole light network and each single light that is contained with it. I think the light network defaults to "Automatic" light mode, which lets the device handle brightness and light mode and prevents you from setting any custom light mode for individual lights.

Since I always wanted my Flare RT to blink (long rural empty roads in my area - getting a driver's attention is important here) I set the light network to individual, which enables you to set the light mode for each light. In my case "Blinking". It took me a while to understand those separate settings for the light network and its lights.

• Thanks everyone, but you guys are about 10 steps ahead of me. LOL I can't even figure out what screen to use on the 530 to start the pairing process. And once I'm there, what steps to I take with the button on the light?

• Never mind. I just got It! Thanks you!!!

• I'll ask you by the way: is it possible for the Edge to switch on the lights when it changes colour from day to night (sunset time)

• In theory setting the light network to automatic should enable you to do that but I since I didn't use it I can't say how well it works.In any case it's my understanding that automatic doesn't mean off during daytime - it means brighter during daytime and dimmed after dark. In my opinion that's a good idea - daytime lights are very important to be noticed by cars in my opinion. However since I always prefered the blinking mode (which preserves battery light) I never used the automatic setting.

According to Garmin the automatic setting should take time of the day as well as ambient light into account: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/variabikelights/EN-US/GUID-73B08487-BA57-4EF0-A253-D226E229BC68.html

(The documentation above is for the Varia bike light, but since the Flare RT as well as the head unit itself has an ambient light sensor I don't see why it shouldn't apply to the Flare RT too. Again, I didn't use the automatic setting it can't say for sure.)

• Where and how do you actually configure these settings? I can’t find it on any menu on the 530