This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation accuracy Climb Pro/Garmin Connect/Garmin 530

Hi,

Love my Edge 530 and Fenix 6.  Been a long time Garmin customer and believe that the Garmin devices provides the overall experience.  That said, the elevation accuracy route planning in Garmin Connect is very bad.  Almost to the point where it makes Garmin Connect useless for route planning in mountains.  First noticed this on an Italian alps vacation.  Back then the argument was that not all places have good elevation data.  

Yesterday, I climbed up Mt Baldy from Glendora in California.  This is the most famous climb of the Tour de California.  

Per Gamin Connect https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/35273185 the climb to the intersection of Mt Baldy Road is: 37.25km; 2,445m elevation gain; 1,407m elevation loss.

Actually riding it per Garmin Edge 530 (analyzed in Trainingpeaks) the stats were: 38 km (pretty good); 1,233m  elevation gain (very bad); 266m elevation loss (horrific)

Having the wrong elevation data in Garmin Connect has the knock on effect that the Climb Pro display is then also incorrect.  Garmin should really fix this.  Don't believe RidewithGPS has this issue.

What route planning tools are you using?  Maybe I should switch to RidewithGPS?

Thanks,

Morten