This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

crazy altitude changes / wrong calibration at start

hi all

Got a problem growing with my Edge 530.

When I start up the 530 and go outside for GPS location, the altutide usually is found quite accurately within a few seconds (in my case: 800 meters above sea).

Sometimes the altitude is calibrated at 720m or similar, but I did not find a way on how to calibrate the altitute before I start an activity (probably not possible?)

However, the main problem I have: once I start the activity, the altitute (which was settled at 800m for instance), jumps immediately up to e.g. 20'000 meters and then drops down again to whatever the system wants. Can either be back to the correct 800m or hoover around somewhere else.

Then during the activity, the altitude either freely jumps around and rises constantly (up to 30'000m within an hour) or remains somewhere incorrect.

Also, the gradient is of course completely crazy, I guess this has a direct link to the altitude it makes up.

Anyone has a clue? After all, completely useless the Edge 530 with this ongoing issue...

Any hints on what to do?

Thanks,

Mo

• Weird.  The altitude value should jump around wildly like that.

To set the elevation manually for your location go to navigation -> menu -> set elevation.

If you usually start your activities from the same place you can save the location and put in the correct altitude in the location. Then when you start at the place the unit will adjust the altitude to the value for the location.

• Weird.  The altitude value should jump around wildly like that.

To set the elevation manually for your location go to navigation -> menu -> set elevation.

If you usually start your activities from the same place you can save the location and put in the correct altitude in the location. Then when you start at the place the unit will adjust the altitude to the value for the location.

• Hi Wongataa, thanks, will try this one out with the saved location. But somehow still weird to have the system do this...

• I have the same problem. It appears when my last ride was at a significantly different elevation. If my last ride was at 500 feet starting,  and my next is at 6000, it shows the elevation moving up while I'm standing still. As such the profile and grade are completely wrong and unreliable. 

The only way I've been able remedy is to do a hard restart.

This is my 4th Garmin. This compared to the others, is a big disappointment because I can't depend on a good position. I have to  stop my ride to correct. 

Is there anyone from Garmin on this thread that can help? 

• Hi all

I found the problem why it always jumped like crazy. Thanks to Wongataa's information, I checked if I have saved my home location (did not know that). And, yes I actually saved my home location as a "location". However, I saved it wrongly with an altitude of 30'000 Meters. No idea how this came in... anyway, that explains why the Edge 530 was correctly displaying the altitute of 800m when I set it on, but once I pressed "start" to record the ride, the Edge checked and realised that it is situated on a saved location with a given altitude of 30'000 meters. So then the big jumps started and that gave me the mess.

Now I just changed the set altitude of my location at home from 30'000 to (correct) 800 meters above sea level and what a surprise, all goes well!

Cheers to all!

• Hi all

I found the problem why it always jumped like crazy. Thanks to Wongataa's information, I checked if I have saved my home location (did not know that). And, yes I actually saved my home location as a "location". However, I saved it wrongly with an altitude of 30'000 Meters. No idea how this came in... anyway, that explains why the Edge 530 was correctly displaying the altitute of 800m when I set it on, but once I pressed "start" to record the ride, the Edge checked and realised that it is situated on a saved location with a given altitude of 30'000 meters. So then the big jumps started and that gave me the mess.

Now I just changed the set altitude of my location at home from 30'000 to (correct) 800 meters above sea level and what a surprise, all goes well!

Cheers to all!