This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 530. Missing maps and Garmin Express shows updates for Europe, not USA

I'm in the United States. I ordered an Edge 530 from amazon.com and just received it today. It did the initial firmware updates and connected all my sensors. Then I went to the map and saw no streets. So I installed Garmin Express and plugged it in to see if there were any other updates. I noticed that there were.. for Europe. Garmin Express shows: Map: Routable Cycle map of Europe 2020.10.

What gives? Was I sent a device preloaded with a wrong country? Can I switch it to the USA cycle maps?

[Long overdue  update] - I returned it to Amazon and bought from a local bike shop instead.

• You will have to download freely available third party maps of the region you require.

• I'm not sure who the vendor was on Amazon, but they sold you a European unit. 

You will not be able to access the Garmin US maps via Garmin Express.

You can trying contacting the seller and see if they will correct their error otherwise you will need to do what is suggest above and download free map from another source on to the unit.

• I wanted to have both Europe and US Garmin maps on the same 530 unit concurrently...not possible. They will sell you other maps but not enough memory to store both. There is also no easy option to delete US to make room for Europe or vice-versa. You can download 3rd party maps for the other regions (I'm told....have not tried yet). Garmin should address this. Wahoo lets you do easily on equivalent device.

• You can have Garmin cycle maps of more than one region with the 1030+.  That is the first unit to offer that.

However, third party maps are very easy to obtain and put on a Garmin.  You can go here - https://extract.bbbike.org/ - and download the area you want in the correct format and copy it to your Garmin and it will be ready to go.  Don't use the UTF versions.

No other manufacturer of similar devices lets you use third party maps.  That can be a benefit as third party maps can be a lot more up to date than the Garmin ones and of course you can get maps of any region of the world even if the manufacturer doesn't supply them.  You can even create your own maps if you want total control of what is displayed in the map and how the map looks (colour scheme etc.).

• I use Open Street Maps for mountain biking because they provide a little more trail detail for my area. I have found that the road OSM doesn't include data for sharp turn warnings like Garmin does. There may be other things like that you lose by using the 3rd party or open street maps.

• The sharp turns are calculated by the Garmin. OSM doesn't have that information (not at all).

• Same thing just happened to me. Didn't realize I had purchased from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and didn't discover the issue until after the return window had closed. This post saved me a lot of time and helped me get a full refund from Amazon.

• Geez Louise!!! The same damn thing happened to me just now... BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

I posted a review warning people, but I'm not sure most will see it and this will continue. Meanwhile I wasted several hours trying to figure out why I could not use this for navigating with existing routes I had.

This is the seller on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RZ95D6L?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I guess you get what you pay for!!!!  I wish there was a way to shut this down.