This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Structured workouts: manually advancing to next step

Hello y'all,

I recently acquired an Edge 530 and have been absolutely blown away by how it advances my road bike experience. I'm somewhat new and this is my first cycling computer, and it's fair to say I see know why there are cycling specific computer as opposed to using my Garmin FR645 instead :-)

As I've been using my indoor trainer over the winter to get my fitness moving forward, I'd like to make use of my structured workouts that I've been doing on Zwift and use my Edge 530. I successfully added a few workouts to Garmin Connect and transferred them to the 530. From a first trial run, it looks pretty neat and straightforward, aside from the fact that traffic might be a bit challenging while maintaining the prescribed metrics.

One thing that I couldn't figure out is how I can manually advance to the next step in the structured workout, let's say when I want to cut the warm-up short, for instance. Some people say "hit the lap counter", which I assume is the bottom-right button, but when I do that I simply get back to the home screen while the activity is still going.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

Thanks in advance and happy riding,

Fabian

• Advancing does indeed work by hitting the lap counter, which, however, is the bottom left button.

What I miss - coming from Wahoo - is the ability to jump back and forth between the workout steps. Say I missed a sprint interval due to a red light and want to repeat it. There appears to be no way - aside from restarting the complete workout - to accomplish this on Edge units.

• Bottom-left is page down and not lap, so no, I'm afraid that doesn't work. Are we both talking about the 530? And yes, you can repeat a step by hitting the top-right and select the redo step or something. 

• Fabian, I suggest you take a quick look into the manual since you seem to be unaware of the two buttons at the bottom of the unit, not the side. Have a look: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge530/EN-US/GUID-DCEB8830-E46D-4EA5-9D37-48FEB13D8D91.html

Button #4 is the one you are looking for. 

You are right about being able to repeat the current step of a workout of course. However, a bit more flexibility such as jumping around between different workout steps would be greatly appreciated. 

• Ouch, you are absolutely correct. I was not really aware of the BOTTOM left button, so that certainly makes more sense now. Thanks for the help.

• You can rewind or go back on a 530 if you accidentally  pressed the button. Maybe you were referring to going back a step and if that is the case you are correct it cannot be done to my knowledge  If restarting a step due to a traffic light, etc this is how to do it  

On the interval screen just hit the top right button and that menu appears, select “Restart Step” and it rewinds to beginning of interval.

• You are welcome. In addition, if you happen to ride with a Di2 and a d'fly unit it is super helpful to assign that function to a double click of the hoods switch. Makes interval workouts so much easier v