This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Average speed - can it display to two decimal places?

I've tried and failed to find a way to display average speed to two decimal places - I've trawled the native settings as well as third party data fields and can't find anything, however I have seen the odd comment in forums mention similar requirements as well as one comment suggest they were using a data field for this very thing. Any help where I can get this from? Thanks

• I don't think so.  It might be able to be with an IQ app.  Why do you want it to 2 decimal places?

• Yes i reckon it is available in an IQ app somewhere but I can't find it from an app store hunt, trying to find someone who has already found this as ive seen it mentioned in comments on another forum. Half of my rides are time trial style and It'd be super useful to see how close or far I am to the next tenth decimal by monitoring the corresponding hundredth moving up and down. It'd bring a whole new dimension to my training instead of guessing when I'm going to hit the next tenth.  

• I wrote a data field a few years ago for my 520 to display the current speed, a pace arrow and the average speed to two decimal places. I've just re-compiled it for the 530 and it works OK in the simulator on 1, 2, and 3A data fields. On the 520 as the number of fields increases, the caption and average drop out just leaving the arrow and speed, but it isn't aligning quite right on the 530. If this may be useful, I could look into publishing it.

• Hi thanks for the response. This sounds really interesting I'd love to try it if it isn't much effort to fix!?

Out of interest as another option how much work would it be to duplicate code you've written and strip out the other bits leaving just the average to two decimals to use in a smaller field in a separate compile? After searching there is defo not an easily accessible solution for this so you'd likely get some decent interest...just a thought : )

• Probably quite easy, once I've remembered how to work with the tools. Not done any Connect IQ coding for a few years. I'll see if I can look at it over the next few days.

• I've created a simple data field to display just average speed to 2 decimal places. I've uploaded the source and binary to GitHub: https://github.com/stphnthmpsn/averagespeed/releases/ 

To install, connect Garmin to computer via USB and copy the AverageSpeed.prg file to your device's /Garmin/Apps folder. 

Let me know how you get on.

• Sorry for the late reply....coincidentally had a few issues with the garmin just after you sent this. I tried your install yesterday....this is EXACTLY what I've been searching for. You're a star. Defo release it to IQ if you have time its so useful for certain type of riders...thanks again!

• Pleased to hear this is what you were looking for. It'd be nice to get it more in the style of the standard Garmin data fields with the units (mh / kh) displayed. I looked at this when doing the data field above, but never quite managed to match the style. If I get time, I'll look again then maybe release it.

• I would donate to the cause. I have seen a good handful of people asking for this exact thing. 

• Will your download work on an 820?