This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Please add ability to modify the pitch (and volume) of the tones

Many of the tones such as off course and turn notification are too high for me to hear. Some of the other tones like GPS Signal lost are about as high as I can hear. I know folks have the same trouble with the wearables but at least there you can enable vibration for notification. That isn't an option for the Edge units. Please add an option so we can modify the pitch of the tones. It might also be useful to be able to pick a volume as well. Especially on windy days in the winter when your ears are covered, it can be hard to hear.

• It might also be useful to be able to pick a volume as well.

Since it's a very simple buzzer, changing volume might not be an option.

• Yeah, it would be nice to have different sounds for the different notifications so we don't have to look down every time it beeps.

• Since I discovered that the garmin connect app for android (I assume Apple as well) allows my phone to be used by the unit for voice directions, this is much less of an issue. 

• I too find the notifications (especially for the Aria radar) to be worthless.  I cannot hear them at all and I wish we could download our own tones or have tones available with different frequencies (better suited to older ears).  I would just as soon have an optional vibrate option for my head unit so I could feel the notifications (even if it used some extra battery life) or at least have a volume option.

• Are you saying that when a tone is generated on the 530, and you are using the Garmin Connect mobile app on your smart phone, the phone will also beep? thx!

• You can set a multi tone for the radar which is easier to hear.

Settings> Sensor> Radar> Sensor Details> Alert Settings> Tones = Multitone.

• I have tried both settings and cannot hear either..............

• I don't have hearing problems (yet) but I really support this idea of improving the notification sounds on the Edges. It is too simple currently, if I enable the tones then the unit beeps too much, and mostly with the same simple 'beep'. I have to keep looking at it, even though this could be a useful way of conveying information without looking away from the road.

Would be useful if I could train my brain to realize I should eat/drink without looking down, but take a peek when a turn is coming up.

The sounds should be possible to individually disable/enable and the best would be if you could customize them indeed, both in volume and style.

EDIT: and the fact that it's just a simple buzzer shouldn't be a problem. My 3D printer (which has an ancient and slow processor) can play little tunes with the most simple buzzer, and you can even program in custom tunes, you just have to specify a list of Frequencies and how long to play them. marlinfw.org/.../M300.html

• No but you can enable voice notifications on your phone and then you will get turn by turn directions and you can control the volume on your phone. I get notifications of upcoming turns and then again at the turn. If I miss a turn I get a notification to make a U-Turn when possible. Turn these on in the Garmin Connect app. Under Garmin Devices-><your device>->Activity Options->Audio Prompts->Navigation Alerts. You may need to allow the device to keep your phone unlocked when it is connected.

• Using the phone for notifications kind of defeats the purpose of using the Garmin.

Other brands have different tones for different notifications. I prefer the overall function of the Garmin and this is my only gripe, so not trying to knock it down.