This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Marked Strava segment does not sync

Why this Strava segment www.strava.com/.../15286758 is not syncing with my edge 530. I see a warning that "Downhill segments are not eligible for segment goals", but in this case "Avg Grade 0%". And anyway, shouldn't any segment be transferred to the device, if it is marked?

Top Replies

All Replies

• The Strava API's prevent a downhill segment from being accessed via the Garmin integration, but that should not impact this segment.

• Hello Алексей​,

Thank you for contacting Strava. At this time, we do not sync downhill segments to devices for Strava Live Segments. Please keep in mind that our system recognizes even the slightest negative grade, and there may be segments that display a 0% grade that will not sync to devices for Strava Live Segments.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best,
    Rañola​
    Strava Support Team

• https://www.doogal.co.uk/StravaSegment.php?id=15286758 this site, I have put your segment ID 15286758  download the fit file and put in the Garmin / NewFiles folder in your edge530, your edge will move the file and register it in the segment list

• Yes it is possible. But then this segment will not work when driving on a route. Strava segments work only when navigating through the Strava Connect IQ app, and Garmin segments only when navigating Garmin distances. If you just download and put in the segments folder, then they will not work with any navigation. 

• place it in the newfiles folder, not segment folder, your GARMIN will do the REST !!!  what strava live does is what I have said to you,it download a fit file via garmin connect & strava through your phone, once a segment is on your garmin its yours, I use to a different app 5 years ago when I had edge510 and I would build my own specific segment file and removed other peoples data such as KOM times, so only my times appeared. 

• http://gniza.org/segments/howto.html

https://doogalbellend.blogspot.com/2018/03/converting-strava-segments-to-fit-files.html

check these sites for more information (I use to gniza) until strava changed the data that we could get from their API, not long after strava data was showing segments on military bases in the middle east

• Unfortunately this does not work. I can load a segment and it is shown in the list, but I cannot activate it - the switch is not active.

PS. Um ... I somehow managed to activate another segment with a bias. I will try again

• For this to work you need to enable Garmin segments.

The above website you can link with your Strava account and download the segments with your PB times as well.

But for it to work you need to disable Strava segments and enable Garmin Segments on connect.garmin.com. Then load the downloaded FIT files into the NewFIles folder on the device, and they will then populate your segments folder on the device after boot. I do this with all my Strava segments seeing that more than half of my favourite segments are too unsafe to be parts of Strava's live segment limit of -0.5% grade. 

I used summit for live segments only, and now that this is effectively broken for my use case, I can save my money at the cost of a few more steps. Not much effort to be honest. Its also an interesting site... 

• In my case, I need navigation and Strava Live segments together. It doesn’t matter to me navigating through Strava Connect IQ app or through Garmin distances. And while I have no reliable way to do this ...

• Can you change this as it hasnt been a problem in the past and most sprint segments i go for are at about -1% or so. There isn't a reason you should've changed this apart from it could be dangerous for some segments. But thats a risk people will take whether they have the segment on their device or not.