This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pop up segments. Not Strava live segments

I would like that my Garmin 530 pop-up a segment when I am on it. I don't have Strava premium, so I was thinking of the same functionality but from Garmin. I have defined some segments and marked them as favorites

• The way I understand it is one needs to effectively select "send to device" for each segment in connect.garmin.com 

And obviously make sure your settings on Connect.Garmin reflect you using Garmin segments...

• Great! It works!

• Good news and since the whole Live Segment process appears to be more or less broken on Garmin anyhow it might be worth a try.

One question though: Will I constantly have to re-send the Garmin segment to update e.g. my PR?

• While I'm having no issues with Strava Live Segments at all, Garmin segments should work the same.

Once they are sent to your device, your PRs will get updated on the segments if you don't forget to synchronise the EDGE unit with Garmin Connect App, via PC or WIFI. I don't think the unit actually updates your PRs on the segment files on the device, and that is done via connect and pushed back to your device on the next sync.

I was riding a segment multiple times yesterday, and my PR time stayed the same according to the device, and consequently all three efforts I was always beating my PR according to the device. Only after getting home and uploading my ride, did the device get segments updated with my new PR. 

• The site that manages the segment is the arbitrator on whether you set a new PR or and other record such as a KoM.

This requires that your activity be uploaded so that the site can process it and update the leaderboard data and then send the updated leaderboard back.

• That was helpful, is there a way of checking what's actually bee sent to the Edge though ?

EDIT - it's explained here this https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge830/EN-US/GUID-760BEC08-CAE9-4B09-B6C4-36C76A41F1A5.html they are under Training/Segments

Another reason to use the Garmin segments (on top of not having to pay for Summit) is that they should still work even if you've created a route with Komoot. The Strava segments only work with a route created on Strava apparently.