This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

any way to mange screen & data fields with the app or computer?

Is there any way to mange the screens of the Garmin Edge without using the device? ie The App, Garmin connect, desktop app or even editing config files (when its connected to a computer)?

I'm finding it really tedious to manage all my screens and data fields for the indoor/outdoor profiles. Quite often editing the wrong screen or not remembering what position it is in.

I use the device a lot for indoor training and outdoor at the weekend.

• I have been looking how fit files and config works. Technically (without knowing Garmin systems/code) it seems to be very easy to create this feature for Garmin engineers. I think if the feature does not exist is because Garmin think that the effort of implementing it not worth it. I think this feature could be superb.

• It wasn't so bad on the 510, at least that had a touch screen.

But, surely an App solution for "designing" your training pages/screens isn't beyond the whit of man.

Suunto seem to be able to manage it.

• Totally agree here, I can relate. Setting the profiles is painful. This should be configurable via an App (not the Garmin Connect App, please). Even though this not a day-to-day task and most of the time we do this twice in a lifetime, the process is tedious and feels endless. It's almost stressful. 

• I just spent 20 minutes on my computer trying to find the way to do this - thinking it would be easy to do. How stupid of me. It is not a quick, simple and intuitive thing to do it on the device itself, otherwise I would have done it by now and I wouldn't be here ranting about it.  The only setting I can change on the Edge from my laptop is the language and time format. Frankly, I find this absurd. Wahoo has an app which makes all the set up easy from your ipad. Garmin has an app which does no set up at all.  I downloaded some third party apps to the Edge and could set up their data fields from my laptop via Garmin Experss. There are so many other usb devices which allow setup from the computer it is flummoxing to find this feature absent on Edge. I've been using 810 and 1030 for many years and I know how to modify screens. It is quite infuriating tying to change screen order and field order etc from the device.

• Yes, this is an absurd hole in Garmin's product offering.  They've heard about it for years and don't choose to put effort into it.

While Garmin makes great products with rich features, one thing you have to accept on all their products - the user interfaces are horrible !

• The main reason Apple is the most successful tech company in the world? Nice clean easy to use user interfaces. If only they’d buy Garmin!  For most people ease of use is more important than how many functions are crammed into it. 

• I just got a new sensor and i am confronted again how really painfull it is to change datafields en reordering the screen. Isnt there any voting list for most wanted features. This will get all my votes

• The people who designed the data fields are extremely proud of their accomplishment and can’t fathom the idea that it is time to move on. 

• I too have moved from Lezyne to Garmin and one reason for giving up on the former was the lack of response in the buttons leading to the covers eventually disintegrating, letting moisture in and that was that. I can already detect a degradation in the Garmin button feel and am concerned it will go the same way. As others have said, there is no reason why the display cannot be edited on another device.