This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Status - Heart Rate Zones

Hi all,

I've been using the training status function on the 530, and there seem to be three Heart Rate Levels,  Low Aerobic, High Aerobic and Anerobic.  I'm often getting the information that I have "Low aerobic shortage".   Now after years of having heart rate ZONES, I cannot find any information on whic Zone Garmin think Low Aerobic is, is that zone 1, 2 or 3?

Has anyone found this information anywhere, rather than my wild guess?

Thanks

• They're not HR zones, they're workout types.

Check the help pages in Connect for a description of each.

• They probably are, and I've looked in the help section, it just says this

"Low aerobic shortage

Try adding more low aerobic activities to provide recovery and balance for your higher intensity activities."

What I'd like to know is what HR range does Garmin consider low aerobic.

• This is a Firstbeat metric derived from the aerobic and anaerobic training effect (also Firstbeat) metrics. See https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/workout-labels/ for more info.

• I would like more specific info on this, too. All my attempted recovery rides are being labelled as "Base". Firstbeat Support tells me it should be less than 60 minutes and Training Effect (TE) less than 2.5 to be labelled as "Recovery", however it's not working for me. For example 40 mins in heart rate zone 1 (based on %LTHR) with a total TE of 2.2 is still labelled as "Base".

• I'm not sure about TE specifically, but from my recollection, Firstbeat tend to use % of maxHR to derive a lot of metrics, rather than LTHR zones. 

Also, HR is a lagging indicator, and time spent entirely in HR zone 1 might conceal some short hard efforts. EPOC and TE look at the rate of change in HR and will pick up on these efforts, even if they are not long enough to lift your HR to zone 2.

• Check your heart rate zones.  I have found the ones auto generated by my Garmin based on my LTHR were not great, especially at the lower end (Zone 1 went way too high).  I used the British Cycling zone calculator which generated more realistic zones and manually entered them into my Garmin.  Adjusting my HR zones did effect the workout label my rides were given.

• How does one train in zone 2? I noticed that Garmin puts a range in their zone so if you are doing 2.1, 2.3 or 2.5 or 2.7 for example but don't go to zone 3 or 3.0 is what they call it will it still be consider zone 2? or you must be at 2.0 to really be in zone 2? or should i ignore the 2.5 and 2.7 for example as those are still consider within zone 2? since there is definitely a range of HR range depending on your HR range with bunch of number it will give you zone 2- zone 3 if your HR is with this range? i add the heart rate zone data field to my running and it shows that but find it impossible to keep like really consistent on 2.0 exactly slight movement more or slow can get to to 2.1 or 1.9 range lol....but i know one can do it.