This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 530 Strava Segments "OFF SEGMENT"

Hi guys... after much deliberation I've opted to go Garmin again.. retired my old 820. (the usb connector corroded and would no longer charge) A loyal servant with a few glitches over the years... 

What it didn't ever do ... is lose Strava Segments. Oh woe is the new Edge 530 totally not fit for task. 

Using the new Garmin 530 Strava segments (firware 4.10) I have tried the same segment with GPS / GPS + Galileo  / GPS + GLONAS

Makes no difference after X Km's I lose the segment. 

I don't really know what to do from here.. Strava segments are quite integral to my training program. Is this a hardware issue? I've never had this issue with my 820, and as a guide I've ridden this segment 90 odd times. 

Anyone able to assist. Perhaps my unit is faulty? 

• Same. My 520 GPS was waaayy better.

Why did Garmin choose to use the Sony GPS chips, when they seem to be inferior to what was used on the older devices?

• Yes totally the Sony chip is rubbish and ruins segment use for me. I tried to return my 530 as unfit for purpose and they made it difficult for me.

• Tried a longer rolling hills road segment today. The countdown to the segment start was good and when it started it showed my PR correctly for me to strive for. But then I noticed the distance and time to go was totally wrong telling me 30km to go when it should have been 5km. Yet my time in front of my PR was correct at least until three quarters of the way through the segment when it lost the segment altogether as usual. What rubbish. 

Notice how @Mathew-Garmin and Weatherall never post in threads about the Sony GPS chip? They must be directed to never admit to the inferior hardware. 

• I've found this issue is often caused not by your Garmin's accuracy or ability to follow a segment, but that the creator of the segment may have done so based on their own ride that was recorded with a phone with very poor GPS accuracy.  You may be on the trail, road, or whatever the segment 'should' be, but the segment itself is the real problem.

• That may be true, but I find that my 520 has no problem following the exact same segments that my 530 drops every time. I have many many examples of this happening. 

• I disagree. 520 followed my segments fine without EVER getting an "Off Segment" warning. 

I rode a loop 3 times with several segments yesterday. The 530 did fine the first loop, but on the subsequent loops I got multiple "Off Segment" warnings.

The guy I ride with has a 520+. He recorded 14.64 miles for the ride, while I recorded 13.44.

530 added some cool features, but in GPS accuracy the 520 was better.

• try to have gps/glonass for more accurate positioning and in recording have every second as smart recording actually remove points, you will find you have more segments matched. even if you segment goes off, strava will tend to match it. 

• I found a few years(retired  edge 510) back that if the garmin generates a null GPS point it will cause the off segment, I actually analysed extracted data as I did a 1km loop around home and I would mark(lap button) after an off segment, it happened quite often. I built my own google map with bubble and markers for each point with bubbles around the previous point to a null point, which correlated to the off Segment. I emailed DC Rainmaker and I also reported it to Garmin. other anomalies is you get duplicate GPS continous points and gaps greater than 1 second, meaning that device is doing others processes, so switch of any unwanted Sensors, Bluetooth & WIFI

• Lopey66 that's all nice to know stuff thanks. But it does not help the fact that the 530 GPS is not as accurate and drops segments under exactly the same conditions and feature usages WiFi Bluetooth etc that the 520 has no problem with. 

FFS after all the software issues I have suffered with my 520 I never expected that I would be posting that it was better than the new model Disappointed

• I have 1 second recording enabled and use gps+galileo. Same settings I used on the 520.