This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change Virtual Partner 100%

I've saved a Course from a previous ride.  Next ride I want to ride against the Virtual Partner which is easy to do.  The top of the Virtual Partner screen shows 100%, meaning it is measuring against the saved Course performance at 100%.  Let's say I want to push it a little faster or take it a little slower, I'd like to change that 100% to maybe 95% or 105%.  I can't find a way to do that.

If you are not racing a Course, instead just riding, you can change the speed of the Virtual Partner from the VP screen by pressing the upper right button then using Virtual Partner Speed option.  I would expect a similar thing when racing against a Course, but when the upper right button is pressed, there is no equivalent option to change the 100% to something else.

Does anyone know how to change the pace of the Virtual Partner against previous Course to something besides 100%?

• and I would like to be able to set the VP speed to a kph (not % of previous or course speed) while following a course, this would be good for Audax type rides where the time limit is based on a kph. I could then use time ahead/behind to show how much time I had in hand (or not). There are connect iq apps that do this but would be unnecessary if the vp could be given a kph rather than %

• The VP may not be a single average speed, that is why it uses a % of the planned speed.. If the course is built from a previous ride it is using the pacing of the previous ride. Many course planning sites will use a variable speed rather than a single speed for the whole course.

E.g. slower when climbing, faster on the flat.

• Exactly, I want the pacing from the previous ride.  I just want to be able to accelerate it or decelerate it by a % factor instead of it always being 100%.  The 530 shows the 100% number at the top of the screen implying it can be changed (else why bother having a stripe across the top of the screen with 100% in it)  I can't find a way to do that.

• I don't have access to my 530 at the moment, but when I do I will take a look. I would expect that if you were on the VP page and pressed the context menu button (top right) that it would give you an option to change the %.

• I've tried all variations of the context menu button to no avail.  Tried a short push, a long push and hold, etc..  Let's see if you get a different result.

• This looks like a bug. I have raised a ticket with Garmin on this.

• Thanks, yes I understand that's how it "works" now ( but apparently not as you say below) but what I would find useful is to set a fixed kph for the course, or course from my current point regardless of what the course originally had, most of the speed setting setting options in course planning sites are premium (paid) features only

• Here's a convoluted way of doing what you are after, at least in MPH not KPH if your device is set to Miles.

When you create the course in Garmin Connect from a previous ride, simply edit the course.  In the editor you can set a default constant speed or length of time (which sets the speed based on the distance).  Save that course to your 530.  When you start the Course, then press the upper right button to bring up the context menu and you'll find one of the options is to alter the speed for the course.  Here you can change it if you want it at a different speed than what is saved in the edited Course.