This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 and Navigation

I recently purchased an Edge 530. For navigation purposes, it was previously recommended to use TCX files with all 500 series Garmins, and GPX files for 800 or higher series. Is it still recommended to use TCX for the 530 ... now that the 530 comes with mapping? Thanks in advance for any help! 

• gpx will work the same way as tcx or fit for “turn guidance” (the big white arrows). “Turn guidance” is a feature of the Edges that use maps (including the 520+ and 530).

tcx and fit can have “course points”, which are basic turn instruction intended for the Edges that don’t use maps (500, 510,520). “Course points” also work on Edges that use maps.

You can use gpx or tcx or fit on your 530. The 520+ and the 530 work like the 800 and 1000 series. 

• In that case it sounds like there's no advantage or disadvantage between GPX and TCX for the 530, 830, or 1030. If that's the case I guess GPX is the way to go since most races post their courses using the GPX format. .
    Thanks for the feedback!

• There's an advantage to tcx/fit over gpx.

The "course points" are still useful as an addition to "turn guidance". They provide a backup or secondary turn indication and they can be used to figure out the course direction.

But, if you don't know what they are or how they work, they might be confusing.

• Interesting topic. So when I map a route either on Trailforks or Garmin connect and sync it to the Edge, is it sent as a TCX or GPX file?

• From Garmin Connect it is sent using the FIT file format and unless you manually download it.

• With respect to navigation, TCX and FIT contain the same information. FIT and TCX can have course points (keep in mind that course points are optional). GPX doesn't have course points.

The Edges convert GPX and TCX files put in the "\Garmin\NewFiles" folder into FIT files (in "\Garmin\Courses").

FIT is a binary format. TCX (and GPX) is text (XML).