This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Screen Orientation - polarisation

I’ve had my 530 for around 2 months. The first few rides were outside with the backlight on, the last 5 weeks have been inside. Went for my first outdoor ride today for a while but had the backlight turned OFF. 

It was a late afternoon Autumn ride here in the hills so a lot of it was in the shade. I found the screen very dark and hard to read. If I turn the backlight on (I have the Di2 buttons set to turn on the backlight) the screen was easy to read. I found though, that if I rotated the 530 Ninety degrees, I could read it just fine, almost like the screen polarisation is 90 degrees out.

My Oakleys are Polarised, if I look at the 530 in it’s correct orientation through the glasses, it’s easier to see than if I look under them. If I turn on the backlight it is easy to see the screen.

is this normal?

• Can anyone comment on how readable the screen is with the backlight off and in shade, then turn the unit 90 degrees?

Trying to work out if mine is faulty.

• I just got my new 530 and found the exact same issue. Hard to read (dark) depending on sun direction. Like you, if I turn the unit 90 degrees it would significantly improve. Wondering if during manufacturing they had a batch where the polarization orientation got messed up. My 810 and 820 was much more readable. 
    I did make it a bit better by rotating the holder so that the screen surface is as parallel to the ground as possible.

I like the unit, but the display native contrast is pathetic. They should have a whiter background. Not happy so will monitor and reach out to customer service if not better after my tweaks. 

• Thanks for the confirmation that it's not just me going nuts. 

It doesn't seem to be all the time, might be related to the ambient light sensor, but it is quite dark and hard to read in certain lighting conditions. I wonder also if it is a batch, as sure more people would be complaining about it if it was every unit. My 500 and 510 were never like this.

Let me know what support says if you contact them.

• Tim, 

I have carefully evaluated the issue and I find that sun angle and position to the screen makes the difference. When the sun is behind or to the sides it is less noticeable than when the sun is in from of the Garmin. I like the unit so far, with the exception of this dark screen. I like to keep the backlight at around 20% or else the battery might drain faster. Looks like the battery has been beefed up quite a bit though, so I will be testing how high I can be and still get around 10 hours. 

I still think it is a screen polarization/orientation issue, but hopefully someone from Garmin tech will chime in. The I see other units I will for sure check them and keep a tally of how many of the same model exhibit the same issue.

• I don t think the Edge screen is polarized. Your glasses are. Polarized glasses are good for your eyes but cause all kind of issues like this. have you tried non-polarized sun glasses to see if the issue goes away ? I suspect it will.

• No, the dark screen issue is WITHOUT glasses. If I look at the screen WITH my polarised glasses, it looks better than without, which is usually what happens when you turn a device 90 degrees, it gets worse rather than better as in this case.

Light off, correct orientation, no glasses - hard to see (background very dark, similar to text colour)

Light off, 90 degrees, no glasses - much easier to read, light background, dark clear text

Light off, correct orientation, polarised glasses - easier to see screen, light background, dark clear text

Light off, 90 degrees, polarised glasses - screen darker, similar to text

• Really shouldn't need the backlight on during the day just so you can see the screen clearly

• Took some photos on my ride this afternoon, they look better in the photo than what they do in real life, but hopefully gives some idea of what I’m talking about.

• Tim, I have reviewed two other 530's today, same issue. It seems a lot worse when the sun is 30-40 degrees. From noon to about 5PM the screen looks nice a bright. There is definitely something going on with polarization orientation here. I also concur on the glasses…same with or without polarized glasses. I even tried differ polarized glasses, are results. 

Bottom line, I really like the unit, but the display visibility is a big draw back between say…7AM to about 11AM, then from 5PM till sunset. Native contrast is simply poor. 

• I´ve have the same issue with mine. The screen is to dark specially in the shadow and with some sun angles.

It´s a shame :(