This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 530 update v4.10 stuck

After updating the device into 4.10, it got stuck in the loading page... 

since the device starts to reboot itself without control... there's nothing that I can do.

Neither resetting manually.

• You could try intercepting the reboot and force mounting it to a PC.

When it shutdown and just before it start up again. Press and hold the lap button and connect the USB cable from your PC to the Edge. 

If you catch it right the unit should go into mass storage.

Once in mass storage mode, look in the Garmin\NewFiles folder. Is there anything there?

• Same issue here. On a unit that is literally 10 min out of the box. 

Got it into mass storage.

No file in the /NewFiles. Any other suggestions?

Thx!

A

• Remove any files in the Garmin\RemoteSW folder

Also remove Garmin\gupdate.gcd if that is on the unit.

If that does not work we may need to try a reset.

• Same issue, brand new unit out of the box which came in with 3.5.

1. hard reset (from the device - settings/system/about/device-reset/reset data and settings)

2. upon reboot, select english, skip everything else

3. connect unit to garmin express from my windows desktop, sync to get the update. Disconnect cable.

4. device boots up, signals update is available and would take 2 minutes. Hit update now.

5. watch "validating update" go from 1 to a seemingly random number ranging between 60 and 99 within 3-4 seconds then stay there forever until I reboot the device.

• It sounds like you have tried most things.

You could try manually placing the update file on the Edge.

Look in the Garmin folder and delete gupdate.gcd and also gupdate.tmp if they are there.

Using this link copy the file to the Garmin folder and rename it to gupdate.gcd

http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/Edge530_410.gcd

• I have an Edge 530 v4.10 stuck in this endless rebooting loop. I can't get the device into mass storage mode because it tries to boot the OS first. Any other ideas?

• Same problem here. It is in an endless boot loop. I can get it into mass storage mode by holding the lap key and then connect it to my computer. I have tried all the suggestions:

1. Emptying the remoteSW folder
    2. Manually adding Edge530_410.gcd to the Garmin folder and renaming it to gupdate.gcd 
    3. Using the old Garmin Webupdater version 2.1.3

It is still in boot loop. Sending it back to the shop. 

• I had the same issue, tried evrything and finally the only fix was to delete the Garmin\NewFiles, that folder had my starred Strava segments not sure what caused the failure

• I also had the same problem with my 2 month old Edge 530, and I was eventually able to resolve it by myself. 

1. You can get into mass storage mode if you connect the rebooting Garmin to your PC, then hold the lap button just as it starts powering on.

2. I deleted what was in Garmin\NewFiles, but this didn't solve the problem for me

3. I was advised by Garmin to download the Webupdater from here https://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp and to update the software again, but this also didn't solve the problem for me.

4. I deleted my activities and courses from Garmin\Activities and Garmin\Courses.  This solved the problem - I disconnected the Garmin and it booted perfectly - finally.  

I suspect the problem was caused because I had an activity and/or a course in progress while the update was executed.  I suspect that if i had have only deleted the most recent activity, that may have been sufficient.

So I'm pissed off with Garmin for getting my device to ask to update its software while i was running an activity (on the start line of Amy's Gran Fondo no less).  And I'm pissed that Garmin hasn't known how to fix this.

Please upvote if this works for you too.

• Hi there, I just downloaded version 6.0 and had the same issue with ongoing reboot. Ihave tried all of the above and still ongoing.

I am very dissapointed that a worldwide famous company has this type of failures in their system? If this is not sorted I would say Garmin is rubish forever and would ask for a refund