This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Backlight improvement

Hi,

I’d like to suggest an improvement to backlight logics. 
In Fenix family as well in other watches is possible to set backlight activation after sunset whit arm movements or button press. 
In Edge 530 there is a auto bright feature, but the working logic is useless. At sunlight ou heavy artificial light at night it goes brighter, despite the fact you can read the screen without it, so, when you don’t need it. When riding in the dark, auto bright just dimmer backlight to unreadable set. 
Therefore, is highly desirable an option to reverse the logic after sunset, or another auto bright matrix to enable it to a level you can read it while riding outdoors at night. 

sorry if I had repeated the thread, couldn’t find any other in this matter. 

• Hello Matthew,
    There is something coming to fix this? Three years latter and several consumers have found this same issue and keep posting here.

• There is a setting that switches between day and night display mode automatically. Menu, settings, system, display, color mode, auto

• “Color Mode: Sets the device to display day or night colors. You can select the Auto option to allow the device to set day or night colors automatically based on the time of day”

which just partly solves the problem…

• I know we have different preferences for what is ideal or even good enough.  I find that the display is excellent, there is never a time of day nor a lighting situation nor choice of eyewear nor angle of viewing where I have found the display to be lacking.  So I'll offer the display settings I use.  I hope they help someone.  I ride in the day, I ride after dark, and I ride at dawn/dusk, so I feel like I experience all the ambient lighting situations once could expect to encounter.  I ride with the Edge mounted to my stem using OEM mounts on several different bikes.

Menu -> Settings -> System -> Display

Auto Brightness = Enabled

Backlight Timeout = Stays On - Ever since I used a 500, then a 510, and now a 530, I found the display to meet all my needs by keeping backlight on.  The Edge 500 was a simple LCD screen with a digital watch-style LED backlight, but the 510 had a color display like the 530.  I recognize that there is potential for longer battery life to have it shut off after a period of time or off by default, but I find the battery life to be perfectly fine.  On my 510 I did leave brightness on 20%, but I find the auto brightness of the 530 to do a fine job.

Color Mode = Auto - This will automatically change the display at sunset and sunrise between night and day modes, respectively.  This inverts the light and dark color schemes for easier viewing depending on day or night environment.

• Low backlight settings don’t have much impact on power consumption, but high ones do, so it’s best to avoid using a high setting for extended periods. I find that 10% always on is OK except for some low sun angles.

One can always check the relative impact of different settings on power consumption by measuring the current drawn from an external supply (with the internal battery fully charged) using a USB ammeter.

• Upgraded from Edge 510 recently and found a few things which are worse on 530. On  Edge 510 I could get to backlight settings with one button and switch to  "Stays on". On 530 I couldn't figure out a way to avoid navigating the whole way from Settings to do that.