This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How maps updates works?

Hello I have two questions about Garmin 530 maps.

Are they updated automatically?

Are they based on the updates of OSM?

Thanks!!

• You need to manually select install from Garmin Express to get the updates when offered. Typically Garmin updates them twice a year. They are based of the OSM maps.

• It's a pity that there's an update only twice a year for it. I just got the "2019.10" update for the European maps, so I thought that means "the 10th update in 2019".

That's too bad because I noticed a bunch of routing problems on my first rides and I updated OSM to make it work well, but I guess I have to wait at least 5 months now for that to get included. Disappointed

• There are other easily available maps based on OSM data you can use on Garmin devices you can use instead of the Garmin ones.  They will often be updated more frequently.  You can even make your own maps from OSM data which means you can update whenever you like.

• Thanks for the suggestion. Am I correct in assuming that the popularity routing feature would be lost if I'm using "custom" OSM files directly? Though not getting directed the wrong way on one way streets is more important than going on the popular routes. Slight smile

• Correct.  You won't get popularity routing if you don't use the Garmin maps.

• FYI what I needed to get correct routing was: Download the proper area from http://www.openfietsmap.nl/ and place in "Garmin" folder the "gmapsupp.img" file. Then go into my cycling profile, disable the other maps (except the base map), enable the openfietsmap map.

At this point my Edge still routed me through one way streets the wrong way. I had to switch the routing type to "Automobile Driving" which is used in these maps to route correctly and not ignore one way street restrictions (what tipped me off about this is that on the website they say "Routing with vehicle=car is meant for racing bikes", which I can assume means "proper cycling"?)

• I just found out that you could update maps with Basecamp too.