This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Zoom level -

I've had numerous Garmin GPS units and never understood this function:

Road - Navigation - Map - Map Visibility Mode (Custom) - Zoom Levels - Select a zoom level for Map Points - Off, 5m, 8m,.......

What does that mean - does it mean say if you chose 8m then your Map Point will appear? What if you zoom to 120M?

The question goes for the User Locations, Street Label and Land Cover.

Just what is Land Cover??

• Zoom level pretty much means that when you zoom as close as *whatever you choose*, the information will appear on the map. If you zoom further than that, the information will not be visible. As for land cover, I'd personally say it's all the tiny little roads and trails, as well as visible difference between water, forest, field etc. Though I've not seen any official instructions on this.  

The function mostly affects how many things are going to be rendered at what zoom level. The more things you're rendering, the slower it is to draw map. On the 530, I've not had any issues with drawing speed while riding, but it's visibly slow when you set detail very high and browsing the map at a higher zoom level. 

• I have a more basic question. I have had the 530 for a month and this is my first garmin with the ability to set these options for the map.

I had in fact installed some OSM maps of the Garmin "OnRoad" type because I found the level of detail on the standard maps (and the standard OSM maps) too much, eg I found the street names obscured elements of the map, the "OnRoad" version removes street names and ground (Land?) cover. Then in looking through the options I find I can (maybe) control some of this detail on the standard garmin maps.

So my question is what does garmin mean by "Map Points" , "User Locations"

I guess I will have to play with the "Detail" options

I haven't yet found any description of the effect/examples of these options

thanks

PS Searching further I think "Map Points" are POI in which case I will turn them off

If I get rid of "Street Labels" (which I don't need) will this also remove Town / Village names (which I want)

• Well I changed the "Map Visibiity" setting to Custom and changed the "Zoom Level" for "Street Labels" & "Land Cover" from AUTO to OFF, it made no difference, then changed these to the minimum zoom level (5m) and again no difference so I conclude that these options are broken and don't change anything?

Has anyone ever got any change to the map from changing these options?