This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrong speed values while KICKR-Workout

I´m using the Edge 530 to control my KICKR. But when I do a workout (downloaded from Trainingpeaks), I don´t get the right speed values. And if I change to another gear, the values are changing too.
As I let the workout control my KICKR, shouldn´t it calculate the right speed by the wheel size and power data?

• You need to tell the Edge unit what wheel size to use when paired with your trainer.  Without it knowing this number the speed values will be 'incorrect'.  Note that speed is irrelevant in reality when working out on a turbo trainer though.

• Thanks for your answer. But I set the right wheel size.
    I know, that the speed is irrelevant and differs in reality, but if the Edge shows something about 13 km/h, it´s kinda frustrating ;)
    And I don´t understand, why the speed changes, if I change the gear. In a heavy gear, it shows 25-30 km/h. Shouldn´t it stay with the same speed as in ERG-Mode?

• Totally to be expected.

ERG mode (ie. your workout controlling your KICKR) works by applying more or less resistance to the trainer, so that you get your target power at your current cadence. Shift up a gear, and the wheel will be spinning faster (and the trainer reporting faster "speed"), so the trainer will apply less resistance to get the same power.

• Speed is not relevant inside as you mentioned, only watts indoor. With that being said if you get in a gearing you know is close to the projected speed then do that. For me it is in the bigger chain. 

• I found the same problem.  The Wahoo Fitness appa supports something called "Erg mode speed simulation".  

The KICKR transmits speed data based on flywheel speed. "Erg mode speed simulation" adjusts that number to take erg mode watts into consideration.  Shane Miller has a good YouTube video on this.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the Garmin Edge 530 has this simulation built in, so as the flywheel speed increases or decreases as you shift gears while in ERG mode, the Garmin Edge will capture the speed transmuted by the KICKR based on flywheel speed.

I believe Garmin would have to add a similar simulation feature OR Wahoo would have to transmit simulated speed to resolve the issue.

• This would imply that the KICKR should be paired to the 530 as a speed sensor.  Then you will get the speed from the KICKR and not the wheel speed sensor.  Getting the speed from a wheel sensor on a trainer in erg mode is a complete waste of time.

• I'm having the same issue reported above. I haven't been able to pair my KICKR as anything other than a Trainer or Power sensor. It doesn't seem to be recognized as a speed sensor. Are you able to? 

• Pair it as a trainer. The speed is included in the datastream for that sensor.

• I am also having problems with the Edge 530 and my cadence sensor, the average calculated is always lower. I ride with my fexix 5 also reading the data from the same sensor, the instant values are matching but the average is different by more than 10rpm, sometimes 20rpm. I have tried so many things, even full reset. I have changed the including zeros, e excluding it to see if would make difference but nothing change. I used to have an Edge 520 that was always matching with my Fenix 5.

• Are the activity times the same? E.g. does one unit have auto-pause enabled?

Can you post the FIT files from both devices for the same activity?