This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Strava segments not showing while on course

As the title says I noticed that the strava seg,Mets are not showing while on course. What can I do to fix it?

I tried to import strava courses with the app but it always shows that the course is invalid. I believe there is a bug with the app 

• You are correct in that the only way to get Strava segments to show when riding a course is to create the course in Strava and import it via the app.

I'm not sure why the app is not working.

• I have used the Strava app. to import Strava routes and have found no issues.  But I don't use the Strava segments feature.

• Hi, has anyone had any luck sorting this problem. I have been out today using the 'course' feature. No segments came up during the ride even though I had 'starred' strava segments. Does anyone know how to solve this? 

• Not correct you can create a course in Garmin Connect and it will still show Strava segments. You don’t have to use Strava routes.

• That is not correct.

You can download a course from GC that will trigger Strava segments, but the original course needs to be planned in Strava and then synced to GC using the new course integration. It can also be directly loaded to the Edge using the Strava Route app, but in both cases the course must be created in Strava.

Course that are created directly in GC will not include the required references to Strava segments that are necessary for them to be triggered when following a course.

A course created in GC will include references to GC segments if your account is configured to use those instead of Strava segments.

• Live Segments doesn't work with courses created by Strava with FW 5.5.

Furthemore, don't load courses on edge with GC, it will modify and overestimate elevation of ride. Direct download with strava app on edge is good ...

GC elevation estimation is a joke...

• Garmin is working with Strava to get them to pass over elevation data when they send the course to GC. Currently Strava is not providing the elevation data so GC is adding it, which is why you see the change in elevation.

• Does that mean I have to use Garmin connect to plan a route if I want Strava segments to work while riding a planned 'course' 

• Hi, thanks for the reply. I did create the course on strava, I then 'starred' the route which automatically transferred it to GC. From there is loaded to my 530.  Is that the reason that my 'starred' segments didn't show, because it went through GC?

If that's right, how do I upload the course from strava to my 530 so the segments appear?

Thanks in advance. 

• They should show up provided that you get the course that was sent from Strava to Garmin Connect by syncing the Edge using Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile. If you download the course file to a PC and then copy that file to the Edge it will not have the segments.

Here is the complete flow.

If you want your starred Strava segments to execute while using a course that runs over those segments then the course must be created in Strava.

Once the course is created you can get it to your Edge using one of two methods.

The old method, which is still supported is to use the Strava Route App on the Edge. The app makes calls that cause the course file to get built that includes the required references to the segments that match the course.and delivers it to the Edge.

The newer method is to enable the course sharing feature between Strava and Garmin. With this enabled Strava will send your starred courses to Garmin. Those courses do the segment matching before they are sent. If you view the course in Garmin Connect you should see course point flags on the map for the start and end point of each segment that is included.

If you then sync your Edge those courses are downloaded to the Edge. Provided segment execution for courses is enable they should execute when running the course. On the higher end Edge units you get a page that shows a list of course points. It will show the start and end point for each embedded segment in that course file.

One important note is that Strava excludes any segments that they consider to be downhill from the course matching.

Strava defines any segment with an average grade that is less than equal -0.2% to be downhill.