This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Courses

Ok, any help will be gratefully received.  

My friend created a route the other day with RWGPS.  Did the usual, pinned it, made it an active activity in Dynamic watch web and then downloaded to the the 530.  This worked perfectly but then when I started the course, what a nightmare.  Literally, every 2 minutes the screen flashed up with an obvious course direction.  Additionally, because I have audio prompts on ( which is excellent normally) I was announced with the word "dot".   In an attempt to reduce this problem, I turned the Nivigation prompts to text only . Unfortunately, this populated the bottom with a black banner every 2 minutes (but at least I could just see the map) the "dot" announcement continued.   

Got to the cafe stop, paused and turned off.  When I turned the the 530 back on, I was met with course can only create so many points? But then, when I started the black banner now contained course changes (which is what I expected from the start).  I turned off the audio prompts.

I should have checked the course, because he had basically put hundreds of course dots on the route.  I blame the fact he hasn't done a course before.  But unsure to why, it caused this much of an interference in the routing?

I started using RWGPS when I had a Bolt and required cue cards.  But I've never had any problem like this before.  

Any advice to what to set the 530 to?  If the route has cue cards, do I turn turn guidance and off course warnings off? 

Any ideas what "course points" and "always display" mean?

Thanks

• Course points are what Garmin calls the cue cards.  Turn them off and you will not have the issue you saw.  You want turn guidance on.  Off course warnings, well that is up to you.  Do you want to be alerted if you leave the planned course?

Always display on means that the course will always be visible in the map view even if you are not navigating it.

• Cheers, buddy!

Can I ask the point of course points are then? Are they only relevant to a basic course that's been planned without cue cards? 

At present, I'm completing courses with RWGPS so that my friend can use it on his wahoo device with tbt.  So, in that instance, turn off course points?  But, say if I was to plan a route in Strava and download it to the 530, course points should stay on?  

• Not sure why you were having that problem. I have a course created in RWGPS, exported as FIT and then copied to the 530. No issue with the RWGPS cues displaying correctly when I have enabled course points for the course. What's the "Dynamic watch web"?

• Nor do I.  Not entirely sure what he did with the route to.cause the 530 to react like that.  I've used plenty of edge models and thrown all-sorts of routes/courses at it .GPX, TCX, FIT. They all route the same. 

DynamicWatch came about as a lovely, web page to plan routes/courses outside of the dreadful Garmin Connect (although I haven't used that for a few years) and then wirelessly transfer the course on to the edge via their connect iq app.  Awesome.  It goes beyond that, though and it allows the user to link DW partner services to it, such as Strava, RWGPS and Garmin Activities.  So any route/course created with another service will sync with DW and all the user has to do sync  the routecourse connect iq and the courses will be ready to download to edge. Wireless. 

dynamicwatch.zendesk.com/.../en-us

• I'll give Dynamic Watch a try. I'm not happy with the antiquated manner in which one is supposed to transfer a course to Garmin Connect (web).

• Yeah, no need to be doing that with their software. It's awesome.  Only restriction is the connect iq app will not work whilst an activity is active.  The Dev for DW has developed a widget (which can work whilst) but it's in beta and you'll need to send him a support email.  I've urged him to release that.  

• RWGPS now have their own app you can load onto the 530. You can therefore download direct from your RWGS profile direct to your device. Works just great

• You only need course points on if you wan to to use cue cards to navigate or you have added a location you want notification for for some other reason to your route.

The Edge devices create their own turn directions so don't need cue cards to tell you when to turn.  This is true whatever the source of the route.

• Interesting... I know they have had the ability to push to the device if you subscribe. But an app? Is that a connect iq?

• Cue cards or regular TBT, the 530 will navigate, like you say.   The only value I see for using cue cards, if custom stops are made or a mate has a wahoo device