This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 530 Public Beta 3.33 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 530 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.33:

• Fixes connectivity issues that could have caused ANT+ or BLE sensors to lose connection and never reconnect.
  • Fixes an issue that caused Bluetooth communication to lock up, which could have affected phone connectivity and device power down.
  • Improved performance in GPS + GALILEO mode.

Feedback

• If you experience sensor or phone connectivity issues with this build, our engineering team would like to hear about your experience so they can work toward resolving any remaining issues. Please reply to this forum thread with the following information:
  1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using?
  2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?
  3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?
  4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?
  5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?
    1. What sensors were connected over BLE?
  6. Did you have your phone connected?
    1. Is it Android or iOS?
    2. What version of GCM do you have?
    3. Were you using LiveTrack?
  7. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.
  8. If you have a Garmin/Debugging directory on your device, please create a zip file with its contents and upload that if possible.
  • Please note that you may not get a response to the post unless we need more information on the issue you report. Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Installation Instructions

Connect your Edge 530 device to your computer using the micro-USB cable.

Download and unzip Edge530_333Beta.zip.

Updating to Public Beta Software

To update device software, place the GUPDATE.GCD file in the \Garmin folder of your device's internal storage drive.

To update GPS firmware, place the 006B310700.GCD file in the \Garmin\RemoteSW folder of your device’s internal storage drive.

Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the Edge, and wait for the update to finish.

Reverting to the Latest Public Release

If you would like to revert to the last public release software, place the GUPDATE-320.GCD file in the \Garmin folder. Rename the file to GUPDATE.GCD before disconnecting your device. 

To revert your GPS firmware, place the 006B310700-230.GCD file in the \Garmin\RemoteSW folder. Rename the file to 006B310700.GCD.

NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all your settings will be reset to defaults.

• It's an improvement over 3.2 but still experiencing many dropouts.  Everything seems to reconnect on it's own after some time with this update.

1.  3.33

2.   many times during ride, starting at about 1.5 hours in.

3.  Stages power/cadence ANT+ and Garmin speed sensor ANT+ disconnected.  Garmin HRM ANT+ stayed connected.  I'm not sure if my phone stayed connected (IOS)

4.  Yes after some time

5.  Stages/HRM/speed all ANT+

6.  Yes

a.  IOS

b.  4.19.1.1

c  no

7.  drive.google.com/open

• Received my replacement Edge 530 two days ago. This is the second replacement for another first replacement (the first device had a faulty return/back button). From my two days of use, I have to say the current device's buttons feel the best among the three I have had so far. All the buttons consistently register solid clicks when pressed. This makes me wonder if Garmin has tweaked the production line since they sent me previous replacement. After my bike race yesterday evening - after saving the activity - the device froze completely, requiring and press-and-hold on the power button for more than 10 seconds to reboot. The device has the 3.33 public beta and not connected to any BLE sensors.

• I have been experiencing multiple instances where, while riding at speed (10+ mph) the unit kicks into auto-pause, shows cadence, and will not resume even when pressing stop/start. Only way I've been able to resume tracking is complete power off/restart. This happened on multiple bikes--one with new model speed-only sensor on wheel hub, other on older combo speed/cadence sensor using magnets on crank and spoke. Both bluetooth. Livetrack not enabled, but live connection to Android phone. Software is current (3.2), synch using Garmin Express practically daily.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3764600456 (cut off multiple times, speed/cadence combo unit, powered down/restarted multiple times)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3757762559 (cut off once, newer hub-based speed unit. continued riding for about 30 minutes without it ever auto-resuming, first time I'd ever noticed this occurring)

GPS+GLONASS mode, strong signals.

***Correction--this has only happened on ONE bike, using older combo speed/cadence sensor unit. It has never occurred on my bike with new style hub-mounted speed-only sensor.

• 2 things to check on the combo sensor. One is that the wheel magnet has not moved. It may not be triggering the sensor all the time. The second item is eh battery in sensor. When that battery is close to failing it is typically that the speed data can show problems before the cadence data.

• Yesterday and today two indoor activities and both crash (restart) garmin between minute 5 and 6.

1. Edge 530 Beta 3.33
    2. 5 minutes
    3. Full restart / Crash
    4. As the unit restart, the sensors reconnect, no more problems until end.
    5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred? L/R Stages Power Meter, Speed, Polar H10 Ant, Varia Radar 510 and UT800 
      1. NONE
    6. Did you have your phone connected? Yes.
      1. Is it Android or iOS? IOS
      2. What version of GCM do you have? 4.19.1.1
      3. Were you using LiveTrack? Nope
    7. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible. Uploading the two fit files
    8. If you have a .System\Diag directory on your device, please create a zip file with its contents and upload that if possible. I don´t but attaching the Debugging directory.Debugging.zip

3761505818.zip3764833420.zip 

• Still waiting for Tempe sensor support on Garmin edge 530. Where’s the problem!!??

• The software update did not resolve my issue, though when I REMOVED the wheel magnet, I had no problems--Edge 530 tracked cadence from the combo unit, tracked speed via GPS. Magnet location was not a problem, correctly aligned and minimal gap, battery was fresh. The default Edge setting for wheel size is automatic, which means the software tries to calibrate based on coordinating GPS-detected speed versus wheel RPM, and my guess is that if there are any hiccups in the stream from wheel sensor, something crashes and it "pauses" the Edge. Since the magnet's only on there for indoor training when GPS is disabled anyway, I'll just live with the nuisance of having to move magnet into/out of position to basically switch from indoor to outdoor mode since the Edge can't seem to work with the Garmin combo sensor.

• I would call this a design decision. None of the Edge units support the use of the Tempe.

• GPS accuracy is locked at 9 feet.  GPS strength is locked as well.

Grade takes way too long to update and is basically useless on changes of less than 500 feet.  For example going down hill into climb shows negative grade for the first 100+ feet of the climb.  

• Will this update fix problems with frequent drops of cadence sensor display and telemetry? When I'm pedaling along w cadence around 85, the display will show a cadence of 63 or most often 64 for a few seconds every 60s or so. I have never seen this error before. Sensor is a powertap dual ANT+ BTLE cadence sensor with a fresh battery.