This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is anyone really happy with their Edge 530? Buttons? Sensors? Features?

I know most happy customers just enjoy their device and don't bother coming to the forums so perhaps I won't get an answer from anyone who is happy.

But I just tried to replace the battery in my 520 and the screen started to delaminate so now a small part of it is hard to see (still usable) and I gave up putting the new battery in.

I'm more tempted now to grab a 530 but all the problems here are making me worry, I can't get a Wahoo instead as I want Varia support and I don't trust that will happen soon even though they have said it will. I wanted to hold off buying a 530 until the bugs are sorted if that ever happens, I hope I still can wait and put up with my 520, first ride with delaminated screen today will see how it goes. 

So has anyone got a 530 that has GOOD buttons? wondering how widespread the buttons issue really is.

Is anyone happy with the sensors? or is everyone having trouble with them dropping out?

What is the beep volume like compared to the 520? I hoped it would be louder but there is already one complaint that it is too quiet.

Are you happy with the new features and how they work?

The Jump feature sounds as crappy as I expected what were they on when they dreamt that up? 

• Mainly I was expecting ClimbPro, Segments and GroupTrack to operate differently.

I thought ClimbPro would be always ready.  When the 530 has a built in map, why need a pre-defined route to trigger it?  If the rider leaves the climb mid way, just end the ClimbPro.  To work around this I've built Garmin segments for my key climbs, but that won't cover exploring new routes and doesn't discern grade with different colours.

I thought (perhaps naively) that while Strava live track was the paid version of segments, I could still download starred Strava segments to the unit (just like downloading starred Strava routes) and the 530 would still inform me of the upcoming starred segment and its completion (it just wouldn't give me the live progress vs PR etc unless I paid for Strava Summit)

With Grouptrack, either my friend can see me on his Edge 520 or I can see him on my 530, but never have we been able to see each other at the same time.

Separately, I was expecting Navigation to look and feel more like google maps on mobile.  But the relatively low resolution of the 530 screen and the inferior map and graphics make this practically impossible. Is it possible to download any better maps?

Lastly, I was on the start line of a 135km gran fondo (route and ride already started on the device!!) and the unit suggested to update the firmware.  I thought sure, maybe I'll get a new feature on the ride.  But what I got was the 530 stuck in a reboot loop, so I had no HR, cadence, speed, directions or other data for the 135km.

(PS did someone say Satellites Lost alert disable option?  And did Knog design the new speed sensor?  They've updated their lights so that the silicon straps are replaceable if they snap, rather than becoming throwaways...)

• I'm loving my Edge 530, I just got it at Christmas.  I have been a longtime Edge 510 user and had an Edge 500 before that.  So maybe I'm used some of the Garmin nuances or for how some shared features behave.  Having said that, I did find that the use of the buttons and navigating the menus is not very intuitive.  I am definitely having a learning curve for how to do what I want it to do.  But I feel like I'm reaching the apex of that learning curve now after a few weeks of use.  

• I am sending my Garmin Edge 530 back after only 7 days.  It has been an nightmare.

• The Wahoo works well with the Varia. However, for recording bike rides the Garmin 130 is a really super, little device. Far more reliable than the 1030 and in a galaxy far away from the pretty but useless 530.

• The Wahoo works well the Varia.

That said the much overlooked Garmin 130 is a better option imo.

It is reliable. It is a step down in terms of screen and mapping but it is great for reliability. Mucbetter than the showy 1030 and in a galaxy far away from the glitch ridden 530. I could seriously write why the 530 should be avoided at all costs.

EDGE 130!!! Three cheers for old schoosimplicity. If your data matters to you buy this. If you want a glamorous looking toy that may or may not function how you expect it to and varies from use to use, buy a 530.

• Hi bhnygps, can you please say a few more words on what you love about the 130? Thanks

• I love my 530,  It is awesome.  I previously had a 520 which also worked really well.  The 530 is a major upgrade in screen quality, battery, and capabilties.

• I tried a Bolt and 530. I kept the 530. IMO Garmin HW + Wahoo's SW would be a perfect match. 

Theres been hiccups on the SW side (one lost ride - was on the device but wouldn't upload - and 2x battery went to 0 while off - which may have been my error confusing sleep vs power off but it wasn't apparent) - but HW has been great. Very solid feel, great screen, I feel like it will hold up for years. Some other SW comments

• Sträva integration (routes) has been good. Segments not so much (GPS seems to be off, affecting real time status in a segment).
    • Trailforks integration is clunky and not great but I get much better trail maps on 530 vs Bolt (why I kept it). I would like to see support for MTB Project here like Wahoo has. 
    • Making routes - RWGPS vs Strava vs Garmin Connect. Strava's route builder blows but I try to make it my repository for routes. I create them in RWGPS and then export. Garmin's route builder is pretty decent as well - for road. It fails when trying to connect some MTB trails. 
    • routing to an address requires a hack via Connect on your phone to make a route there, then send to device (not that different than Wahoo really but a lot more steps and less obvious) 
    • Map zoom - I feel like its never where I want it and Wahoo's quick zoom in and out is much, much better. 
    • Trainer mode works great. I especially like the profiles and wide range of sensors the 530 supports. 
    • GPS with GLONASS and 1 sec recording seems to have improved my tracks. 

btw, my buttons work great. Size wise, I also like that its a bit bigger than the Bolt and I'm not ready for the size of the Element Roam. Then again if you're cross shopping Roam, you might as well consider a 830. 

All in all, the 530 is pretty good. I would give it a B. 

• Very disappointed with my Garmin Edge 530. Got it before 8 months. Already sent it back for service twice. Still got problems with buttons response, takes ages to respond. Often the screen stays absolutely still. 400 hundred euros wasted. Struggling to get a new device through guarantee.