This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is anyone really happy with their Edge 530? Buttons? Sensors? Features?

I know most happy customers just enjoy their device and don't bother coming to the forums so perhaps I won't get an answer from anyone who is happy.

But I just tried to replace the battery in my 520 and the screen started to delaminate so now a small part of it is hard to see (still usable) and I gave up putting the new battery in.

I'm more tempted now to grab a 530 but all the problems here are making me worry, I can't get a Wahoo instead as I want Varia support and I don't trust that will happen soon even though they have said it will. I wanted to hold off buying a 530 until the bugs are sorted if that ever happens, I hope I still can wait and put up with my 520, first ride with delaminated screen today will see how it goes. 

So has anyone got a 530 that has GOOD buttons? wondering how widespread the buttons issue really is.

Is anyone happy with the sensors? or is everyone having trouble with them dropping out?

What is the beep volume like compared to the 520? I hoped it would be louder but there is already one complaint that it is too quiet.

Are you happy with the new features and how they work?

The Jump feature sounds as crappy as I expected what were they on when they dreamt that up? 

• You know you can turn off the automatic lap recording and you don't have to connect it to a wifi network. Just need to dive into the settings a little more.

• Hi yes, part of the problem tho is that when the device updates, it deletes some/all my personal settings and turns auto lap back on!!! 

• I own a Edge 1000 which is very reliable, but the battery got quite weak now (it only last 5 hours) and the power button is broken (I fixed it with a screw as workaround)

I'm thinking getting the Edge 530 but when I see all the issues here in the forum (GPS accuracy, sensor dropouts, crashes, livetracking ...) I'm wondering if I should go with the Elemnt Roam instead.

In order to take the decision, I still have 2 questions about the Edge 530:

1) On my Edge 1000, when loading long Komoot tracks (>100km) the Edge complains the track is too big and advises me to split the track. The route calculation is quite slow on long tracks to. Has this issue been fixed with the Edge 530?

2) When following a training program on the Edge 1000, and running livetrack in the brackground, sometimes the Edge 1000 gets very slow and the touscreen reaction gets very slow too. Is the CPU power of the Edge 530 sufficient for those tasks ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• No brainer. The ELEMNT roam is fantastic. Super easy to set up and do routing via the phone. I was set up and able to ride in 20 mins. Advanced set up with custom pages, zones etc took about an hour but is fantastic. Wahoo have come further forward with their device than Garmin went backwards (astonishing that they could go so wrong from the 520) 

I had four months of agony with the 530 and now it is back at the factory. I bought a second unit just in case the first was hardware defective. That was as bad. Two guys I ride with face the same issues. They are unable to record their rides because 530 tries to update itself (which it cannot do via wireless let alone mobile connection and you CANNOT turn this off) when it should be doing its job!!!!!

The good news is the Varia light works with the Wahoo too. As do all the Garmin sensors. 

I think Garmin owes its customers a huge apology for the 530. I am grateful that it pushed me towards the ROAM which is great product although the screen is not so beautiful as the Garmin’s. 

• What are you basing your 1:10 ratio on? Do you actually know 10 people with working 530s and one defective? I actually know four people with non functioning 530s and zero that are happy. These are units that are bought both in Europe and the US, early batches and later ones.
  • People you know amounts to literally nothing, unless you know a few hundred. Local Facebook group and cycling oriented forum with an Edge 530 thread over 2K posts long have both had only a handful of people with actually defective units. 

• Hi,

No problem with buttons.

Everything is working fine, except pour the GPS accuracy...

• i'm happy with the battery life though i don't attach any sensors - just use it for recording and navigation.

BUT i've got this issue - https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/191575/why-does-the-distance-to-the-next-turn-not-update

Is everyone's unit affected?

• I have owned my Edge 530 for about 4 months, and I am not happy with it. 

I could list out the issues but ultimately it is not reliable enough, not user-friendly enough, and I can't do many of the things that I was expecting I'd be able to before I bought it.  

• What were u expecting and where did it let you down - were u trying to open the garage door also with the 530?