This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is anyone really happy with their Edge 530? Buttons? Sensors? Features?

I know most happy customers just enjoy their device and don't bother coming to the forums so perhaps I won't get an answer from anyone who is happy.

But I just tried to replace the battery in my 520 and the screen started to delaminate so now a small part of it is hard to see (still usable) and I gave up putting the new battery in.

I'm more tempted now to grab a 530 but all the problems here are making me worry, I can't get a Wahoo instead as I want Varia support and I don't trust that will happen soon even though they have said it will. I wanted to hold off buying a 530 until the bugs are sorted if that ever happens, I hope I still can wait and put up with my 520, first ride with delaminated screen today will see how it goes. 

So has anyone got a 530 that has GOOD buttons? wondering how widespread the buttons issue really is.

Is anyone happy with the sensors? or is everyone having trouble with them dropping out?

What is the beep volume like compared to the 520? I hoped it would be louder but there is already one complaint that it is too quiet.

Are you happy with the new features and how they work?

The Jump feature sounds as crappy as I expected what were they on when they dreamt that up? 

• The button issue existed on a few of the early manufactured units. Garmin replaced those units and fixed the issue on subsequent issues.

Some users have reported sensor. drops This maybe associated with the use of BLE sensors. Garmin is working on this issue and got called out on it by a well known product reviewer. So I expect a patch will be available shortly.

The speaker outlet has moved. It is not in the center of the mount so should not get muffled so much by the mount. You may want to support your LBS and go and look at a unit and see how the volume is.

• I also had a problem with a 520 battery and replaced it. Then I broke the screen. While waiting for a replacement screen for the 520 from China i bought a 530. Don't buy it until all the bugs have been fixed!

My Vector powermeter disconnects costantly. The 530 sometimes can't be turned off, just freezes on the "Power off menu"!

Today I tried the navigation. As soon as I selected "go back to start" the unit started rebooting. And rebooted 4 times until I was able to click a button before the next reboot and stop the navigation...

It's amazing that Garmin (who has been producing these units for a decade) puts out new devices with these kind of serious issues.

Now I am back to the 520 and planning to return the 530 if a new firmware doesn't fix the issues soon.

• I went from a 520 to a 830 after hearing that Garmin has fixed the non-responsive touch-screen of the 820.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the touch-screen works and I'm glad I got the 830 over the 530.  With a good touch-screen it's much easier to use the GPS than to use buttons.

As for issues so far I have not had any issues with sensor dropouts, and I have lots of sensors (Quarq, Varia, and Di2 BLE).  I have not had any freezes.  My one and only issue is with the BT connectivity with my iPhone.  Upon finishing the ride (without the phone with me during the ride) the GPS would continue to search for my iPhone despite my iPhone being withing BT range.  It would only connect to the phone AFTER I manually bring the Garmin Connect app. from the background to the foreground.  On my 520 the unit would automatically connect to the phone and upload the ride.  Now with the 830 there's an added manual step of opening Garmin Connect.  I expect Garmin to fix this issue so keeping my fingers crossed.  So far I really like the 830 over the 520.

• I also had a problem with a 520 battery and replaced it. Then I broke the screen. While waiting for a replacement screen for the 520 from China i bought a 530. Don't buy it until all the bugs have been fixed!

My Vector powermeter disconnects costantly. The 530 sometimes can't be turned off, just freezes on the "Power off menu"!

Today I tried the navigation. As soon as I selected "go back to start" the unit started rebooting. And rebooted 4 times until I was able to click a button before the next reboot and stop the navigation...

It's amazing that Garmin (who has been producing these units for a decade) puts out new devices with these kind of serious issues.

Now I am back to the 520 and planning to return the 530 if a new firmware doesn't fix the issues soon.

• Keep in mind that for every person that posts a problem, there's going to be at least 10 who have no problems whatsoever. I was also afraid I'd have faulty buttons but they're fine and very responsive. Besides, if you do end up with bad buttons, you'll get a replacement unit. If you're going to be buying online, you can ask them to test the device before sending. If you're going to be buying in your LBS, you can try it out there. I've not had any issues with the jump feature, but I've only had the device for three days and ride mostly on mixed surfaces. Never spend much time on smooth roads. 

• It's also possible that for every 10 person who are suffering from various issues with the 530, only one person will post about it here.

• I had 2 units w/ bad buttons:

1st shipped on 5/13 had a bad top right button

2nd shipped on 5/31 had a bad bottom left button

In both cases I encountered the issue during the setup so never used it on the bike.

I'll wait a few months before considering getting a 3rd unit.

• What exactly does "bad buttons" mean? Not working?

• Hi,

I have posted Problems but I still like the 530. Everything that worked on my 520 does work on the 530. Many new thinks work on top and the extended Battery life and the better speed make the device more fun for me to use. My 520 is not broken but I have no desire to switch back.

Sure would be better if also the new features would work and the related crashes are annoying. But I always only crashed in both device and app using new festures (jumbs, track navigation and climb pro).Never on the basics.

And some of the new stuff does work. I.e. I really like some of the new data fields or the home routing.

Also I have no Problems with Ant+ Sensors ( despite one I already had on the 520. It seems to be the 'new'  BT functions that should better be avoided at this FW.... 

My buttons work from day1. Different  then 520 but neither better nor worse just OK.

So for me the 530 is today the much better device for 520 functionality. and on the rest I keep fingers crossed that we will soon see the lacking FW improvements..

• In my case, the "back" button (bottom button on the right side) requires a very hard press to register. The replacement 530 I received (which will be sent back very soon because Garmin engineers want to take a look at why data from sensors are frozen during my rides) have OK buttons. I use "OK" to describe them because sometimes when you press them, you can feel a "click". Sometimes, there is no "click".