This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pre-installed maps

My 520's mounting portion is broken during the winter rides at -10c ~ -20c. So, I have an excuse to buy a new 530 ^^. Question is, if I buy EU version, can I get free download North America map from Garmin website and replace EU map or install together? Or should I buy NA map separately by paying additional charge? If so, how much is it? Thanks in advance for any helps.

• You may:

1. Purchase the map from Garmin (or other sources); or
    2. Download free Routable Bicycle (Openfietsmap Lite) maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

If you choose the latter, simply select the country / region or customize the tiles. Once the map is ready, simply move the "gmapsupp.img" file to your Garmin/ folder on your device.

Older instructions are available on the DCR website; though I believe it's unnecessary now to replace the base map.

• Does this work also for EDGE 530?

The file sizes does not seems to fit

• It works for all Garmin devices with maps.

Depending on how much free space you have on your device you may need to select a smaller area to download.  Do you really need the entire US?  You could also copy the Garmin maps off your device to increase the free space.

• Indeed it does.

Very easy and indeed as _hq_ sugested just move the map into the device

• I bought the EU maps for my Garmin Edge 530.

Garmin's website tells it's only 2GB. Uhoh, it's 8.8GB, you can't put both continent on the same device at the same time, even if the tech support told me I was supposed to be able to do it.

The best option would be the Openstreet maps.

• OSM maps are fine but the street labels are not very legible. With the garmin maps you can have the street labels enlarged which greatly helps in their legibility when one is cycling.

I find the ability to have separate profiles dedicated to individual map a real bonus - i've got one for the official Garmin cycle maps ( love it for their street label legibility) and i've got another activitiy profile just for the OSM maps. The OSM maps i suspect have the better cycling paths mapped out. It's much easier to choose the map types through the activity profile rather than trying to remember the many steps needed in the menu to change the map type.

• BigLampar how do you change the map type in the profile? Sounds like an interesting option.

also how do you upload OSM into the profile? By default only the Garmin Cycle Maps are installed - correct?

• With each profile you can choose which maps that are on the device to be active.  You just copy the map files into the /Garmin folder to put the maps on the device.  Go into the profile settings of the profile you want to edit and go to the map section and choose which maps you want active for that profile.

• As Garmin maps are also based on OSM data I would suspect that the street label issue you have is down to how the maps are created and nothing to do with OSM itself.  MAybe you need to try different OSM based maps that those you have tried before and see if the labels are clearer on those.

• I used to be able to adjust some OSM maps features through applying types to the file - but i've now lost that skill. And the editor to apply the typ to the OSM map is no longer available - sadly.