This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power Meter Drops

I've posted within the Sensor drop out feedback for Garmin to review. But, I was wondering if someone, maybe, Alan, could have a look at the Fit file that I've put into that post and let me know what they think? 

Just wondering if it's something I've done wrong? It does look like we're all experiencing issues, but I want to narrow it down myself and see if it's my own error. 

I've recently put the Generic routable map (new style) from openstreetmap, mainly because it offers so many poi's which offer a great workaround for the 530 ( well, in that you can scout around the map).  But I was get some wacky, Gradient readings yesterday. -1 on a 10% grade and went on from there. Just all over the place.  

I wonder if the Map is throwing the profile and calculation out. I notice there is DEM file on Garmin, not sure if this is used in unison with the Installed Garmin maps to give more accurate elevation and gradient profile?

Can the DEM be used with other maps, if indeed, that is what its for?

Could the inclusion of a new map thrown the Ant power off?  I wouldn't have thought so... 

Thanks 

• The DEM data is used to initially set the elevation value, but it is not used to compute grade.Grade is computed using the barometric sensor data  and distance using data either from a speed sensor or GPS.

I will take look at your file.

• The grade issue maybe related to the sensor connectivity issue. There was a period when the unit was using GPS for speed and not the speed sensor. This was on your first climb. Is that where you noticed the grade issues. At low speeds GPS speed data can become noisy, which could negatively impact grade values.

For the speed sensor did you manually set the wheel size or did you leave it as automatic?

• Ah... No, that was definitely my fault.  Whilst looking at the sensors and try and get the power working, I noticed that my speed sensor wasn't paired, so, that's when I put it on. 

No, I noticed on (let me see), second to last climb, around 3hr 42min for 10 mins, or thereabouts. In all honesty, it was probably doing it throughout the ride, but I only noticed it there.  Interesting, the climbpro was giving a more reactive gradient reading. Even though it says AVG Grade, it appeared to be shifting a fair bit, almost, like I say, reactive to climb, rather than an AVG over the full climb 

• Ah!! Thanks for that! Would that file be required, in addition to another, 3rd party map? 

• I would check the wheel size under the sensor. I would manually set and then see what happens on your next ride.

The ClimbPro grade is the average grade remaining (Garmin toold me they will change the label in the next software update to make that clear) and is computed using the course data so is not using the barometric sensor. 

Did you see these bad values while sitting on a page that showed grade or where the bad value showing up when you first changed to a page that showed grade? Could you have been touching the USB dust cover?

• Oh, I've never set my wheel manually.  Ok, I'll try that, bit of a faff though. 

Ah, so it's an AVG of what's left, rather than full.  I have grade and elevation as metrics on elevation and climbpro page.  I think I know what you mean and that's interesting.  In the main, climbpro works well, when it starts it will give a colour corresponding to grade (I think), however, if I go off that page and then back to it.  The different grades (colours) give way to one colour (usually a green). I usually flick to another screen and back again, then the colours and AVG Grade would change. 

Can't say I have touched the dust cover, but when you're changing screens on an effort, I may have done.  Could this be a problem touching the usb cover?

• The barometric sensor port has moved on the 530/830 to behind the USB dust cover. On other models it was on the back of the unit.

In terms of color coding of climbs and grades

• Bloody, hell better not touch that, then. Goodness, I would have thought that there could be a chance when someone touches it the sensor can go haywire.  Sometimes, as you know, pressing the buttons can be difficult, to ensure it secures a press.  So, I possibly will have my thumb near it.  

Yeah, the climbs are yellow and orange.  But change the page it goes to green. Turn it back again, it's yellow and orange again. Strange!!

• I've been told that bug is fixed in the next release.

• Thanks for your help, Alan!