This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor GPS+Galileo track MTB

I just got my Edge 530 a few days ago. So far I have done 2 road rides using GPS+Galileo and accuracy was superb. Yesterday I did a mountain bike ride using the same settings and the GPS track was awful. It was not even close in several areas. Is this related to using Galileo or is it possibly speed sensor calibration? I have the speed sensor on my MTB but not on my road bike.

Thanks for any insight!

• I have noticed this as well.  The 530 does a good job of getting the GPS track in Road mode, but in Mountain mode it's way off.  Have tried the settings with GPS, GPS+Galileo and GPS+GLONASS and seen very little improvement.  Have also done rides with my older Garmin gear - a Forerunner 910xt and a Vivoactive HR - in all cases the older gear did a better job!  My old faithful 910xt produces a far more accurate track than the 530.

I am running beta 3.55 and GPS chipset beta 2.42.

• Exactly my experience

• I have also noticed that the GPS track is not good with the Edge 530 under tree cover and perhaps around buildings.  Cuts corners etc.  I own/have owned and Edge 510, Edge 520+ and both these do/did an excellent tracking job in similar conditions.  My Fenix 5 also does a reasonable job.

Recording is set at 1 sec and I've tried both GPS and GPS + GLONASS.

Only had a couple of weeks.

•  - Does this mean that riding a course using the “road” profile results in a better track than riding the same course in the “MTB” profile? - 

• I do not have a comparison for the same course in Mountain vs. Road modes as I tend to use the mode that is appropriate for what I'm riding.   I will give it a try on mountain singletrack in both road and mountain modes this week on the same course and post results, including my 910xt's track.

• I'm now running beta 3.55 with the 2.42 gps firmware and this is still an issue. When I ride the same trail multiple times in one ride the GPS tracks are vastly different. 

• No , but it has greater problems when under three cover.

• I've been running my new Edge 530 alongside my Edge 510, and the Edge 530 definitely underperforms vs the Edge 510 where GPS coverage is not as good (eg trees and buildings).

I've tested the Edge 530 using both GPS 2.30 and 2.42, MTB and Road settings, GPS and GPS+GLONASS, with little if any difference between these settings.

I expect some degradation in poorer GPS conditions, however its disturbing that the new 530 unit noticeably under performs my older Edge 510 unit, plus also a 520+ unit I had for six months.

On the MTB tracks I ride, most of which have some sort of bush covering, the Edge 530 unit tracks poorly and will often noticeably cut corners/switchbacks well short, whereas the 510 unit will track reasonably accurately (although not perfectly) against maps / satellite pictures.

On a ride last weekend, my Edge 530 recorded the distance at 12.3km, 1.5km less than my Edge 510 at 13.8km.

• You would expect a dedicated GPS device would have much better accuracy than a phone that does lost of other job.  Maybe Garmin could pay Apple to design and produce their device. Maybe I should just strap my iPhone to the handle bars - it should just work then!

• I have the same problem. GPS from Edge 800 is much better and faster.

I think the new Edges are only made for streets not for woods..