This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Weather Alerts - Can't turn off

I have tried several times to turn off the weather alerts through the Garmin Connect iOS app by selecting the Edge 530 > "General" settings and moving the slider on "Weather Alerts" to the off position (or More > Garmin Devices > Edge 530 > General). After syncing everything appears to have worked but the slider always ends up back in the on position the next time I connect to the device. This seems to be the case for the "Weather" slider as well, the one which should turn off not only the alerts, but any weather info on the Edge device. Am I missing something here?

In general, the Edge 530 seems to work well enough but any time I need to launch the Garmin Connect app -> trouble. Syncing settings fails about 1 out 3 times (stuck sync, have to hard close app). Impressive ability to drain my phones battery when running (iPhone 6s, current iOS), I can watch the % tick of by the second, phone gets very hot (Ron Burgundy - I'm not even mad, that's amazing). Tried deleting and reinstalling the app, seemingly every combination of power cycling, deleting the device and re-establishing pairing. Nothing seems to work.

Lots of headaches just to try to stop the Edge from (loudly) warning me about several flood warnings in the area every time it gets near my phone. 

• I have the same problem on my 520. The alerts do t go away til I press the button, and they block a couple of data fields. Very annoying in a race!

• I keep turning it off, but it turns itself back on and pops up a banner on my garmin.  this happens when I'm not using it and it sits there draining my battery.  This is with firmware 4.1.  Edge 530 was almost dead this morning for my ride with an active screen.  I had a full charge last night.

• After syncing everything appears to have worked but the slider always ends up back in the on position the next time I connect to the device. This seems to be the case for the "Weather" slider as well, the one which should turn off not only the alerts, but any weather info on the Edge device. Am I missing something here?

Same problem on my 830. I haven't seen any solutions elsewhere. Given it's been a year since you posted, Garmin seems to have paid no attention to this bug. Really disappointed since I switched over from my Wahoo Bolt -- Garmin's buggy software and poor usability have me *this* close to selling the 830 (or shoving it in a drawer) and going back to Wahoo.

• Hey guys,  I'm having the exact same problem with my Edge 530 and I had it with my previous Edge 520; I run Connect on an iPhone 8 with iOS 13.3.1.  I contacted Garmin Support and spoke to Kevin who specifically told me he's "not seeing anything reported by users" and no one is complaining about weather alert problems.  He also said there don't seem to be ANY forums regarding weather alert issue.  Strangely, I found 128 chat forums about weather alert issues.  Soo... I emailed him the link to this chat forum (that doesn't exist) and sent him screen shots of my Garmin Connect App and Edge 530 screen doing exactly what we're all complaining about.  I'll post here if they come up with a solution I can pass on.  Thanks!

• Same problem here. It's often windy where I live, so I have to click through many "Small craft advisory's" for a minute every time I use the unit. Please let me turn this off!

• How many times do I need to acknowledge small craft warning!   How about 2-3 times every ride when my phone re-connects to the garmin.  

• If you change settings on your device, some settings from Garmin Connect can get re-imported onto the device at the next sync. Try turning the weather alerts off within the GCM app (or even better, from the GC website) and letting those settings sync to the device.

• Same here, I have been getting WAY too many Small Craft Advisory messages on my garmin 820. I have tried syncing after turning off weather and advisories fromGC but it keeps turning back on. 

• I suspected it might require re-syncing; unfortunately that was one of the first things I tried (and have since tried many times). Regardless of whether I make the change in the app or on the website, after syncing or restarting the device I always find—without fail—that the weather alerts setting has found its way back to the “on” position.

• Actually, I've just checked again and I don't think it's possible to change the weather alert setting on the Garmin Connect website (or on Garmin Express). Regardless, the issue persists -- along with the issue that LiveTrack autostart fails every time. At this point, I think I'll switch back to Garmin, at least until Garmin fixes these issues.