This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USA/Canada Trailforks maps on European Garmin Edge 530?

I have received my (European) device with USA/Canada Trailforks maps, all the other OSM Garmin maps are European. How is this possible and what can I do?

• Like said above maps activated and paired with mobile app. I’m able to use my routes with trail forks connect iq app.

Just checked and still no updates. Don’t know, maybe I soon ask a new device from Garmin.

• Would you be willing to post the GarminDevice.xml file here or in private message to me and I will see if I can spot anything.

• Anyone made any progress in getting the update?

• Me not - Still no update offered. Did provide my .xml. Waiting for guidance/fix.

Luckily its not urgent for me as in my home area trailforks is anyhow weak but want it for vacation trips.

• I thought I had posted the following the other day, but I don't see the posting here.

The following may trick Garmin Express into install the 2019.10 version of the map.

There is a more complex option that will likely work, but that involves doing a full reset so lets try this simpler method first.

On your Edge look in the Garmin folder for the Trailforks map. It is likely going to be called gmaprom2.img and will be around 44 MB in size.

Other possible names are 

D7557010A.img or D7557020A.img

Copy the trailforks map and its associated files to your PC as a backup 

gmapprom2.img  gmapprom2.gma  gmapprom2.unl

Next delete those 3 files off your Edge.

Disconnect the Edge from the PC and let it start.

Next power the Edge off and then reconnect it back to the PC

Now run Garmin Express. As the server is no longer hosting the 2018.20 version of the map I expect that you should be offered the 2019.10 version of the map to install.

If it does then install it. 

If it does not then restore the files you backed up.

Either way please let me know how you get on. If this works then great. If not then I will post instructions for the other method. 

I know Garmin are aware of this issue and are looking into it, but this might be a way to solve the problem yourself.

• Did not help. I even made second test  where I did delete content of c:\program data\garmin folder before I re-opened garmin express (= I need to pair the device again and there should not be cache available anywhere anymore).

• That is a shame. What did it do? Did it offer the 2018.20 map or no map at all?

• No Luck for me as well. After deleting the files (4 of them) and rebooting and I even removed the trail forks app it now shows the Map update available as Trailforks 2018.20. Screenshots below. 

• I couldn't get MTB route navigation to work, kept on receiving the following error, "no routes found. adjust the start point of your search to be in a trail network, and try again."

So started to do some research and ended up here. My TF map version was indeed 2018.20, but just installed 2019.10 using Garmin Express.

*update: maps indeed got updated, but "MTB Trail Navigation" option under "Navigation" is still not working. I am able to see the trails on the map when simply viewing it. Anyone had more luck this with this?

• Any updates on a fix for this. I notice the new 3.55 beta firmware requires the newer map for some features.