This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Firstbeat powered insights on the Garmin Edge 530 and Garmin Edge 830 - Q&A

Hey folks,

Big day for cycling enthusiasts.

I'm going to try something new and carve out a little space to proactively share and answer any questions about Firstbeat's advanced performance analytics onboard the newly announced Garmin Edge 530 and Garmin Edge 830. From a 'performance feature' perspective the 530 and 830 are identical, so no need to have separate conversations about each model.

In terms of stuff to be excited about and look forward to... these are the big 2 ones in my opinion. There's obviously some very cool stuff going on with both these new devices, but I'm only talking about Firstbeat related things.

Training Load Balance: https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/training-load-balance/

Heat and Altitude Acclim: https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/heat-and-altitude-acclimatization/

There's also a new label data field (https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/workout-labels/) that summarizes the primary training benefit of your finished ride and a something that I know people have been asking for around here for a while - for the first time you will be able to see the specific Training Load contribution of individual workouts. So, that's something to be super excited about - and a good example of delivering information that folks have been requesting.

Actually, if you scroll down on this page (https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/edge-530/) there is a decent introduction to some more of the new things going on with some additional context.

Other cools stuff to be aware of is the introduction of stuff like Training Status, Training Load, Aerobic and Anaerobic Training Effects, FTP and Performance Condition… all of which have become pretty standard on Garmin's higher-end Forerunner and Fenix watches but weren't widely available (or even invented) back in 2015 when the Garmin Edge 520 and Edge 820 were introduced.

Looks like some good in-depth reviews are already up… so enjoy those… and if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll answer anything that I can. ;-) I'll be sure to check in regularly over the next couple weeks.

All the best,
Herman
  • This is correct. The Firstbeat analytics engine is an embedded technology that runs directly on the device itself. If you want to provide fairly calculation intensive real-time feedback for a long period of time using as little processing power and battery juice as possible... this has tremendous advantages for watches and cycling computers. 

• thanks for the response.  However, might it be an idea to "familiarise" yourself with TrainerRoad, Zwift and theSufferfest so you can better understand why so many people on here are complaining about the meaningless of these FirstBeat metrics?

• i will try to give you more input, hope for more understanding what we want:

most of us using Zwift, Rouvy, Trainer Road, etc., more or less the software is a Head unit like a Edge or a Fenix or a Forerunner, so you don't need to record the workout on the Garmin devices, because the virtual software do exactly the same.

When the workout on the virtual software is finished, you can send it to Garmin Connect, everything is fine, but the big thing,
    no training load, recovery time, aerob, anerob, etc. will be measured or calculated because Garmin Connect himself can't do this with importing the data.

Think, we all want, that Garmin Connect adds and calculate the Firstbeat Metric to our workouts we have recorded with different virtual Trainer Software for cycling.

Sorry, my english is not the best, but hopefully understandable!

• Just found the conversation you created yourself? Perhaps you should use the forums notification system to get notifications when someone makes a reply in your threads?

What quality tests have you done with the Garmin products utilizing your algorithms? Is there a difference between how you think things SHOULD work and how they actually work in the Garmin products?

Please explain how the Training Status page in the GC app with separate statuses for FR645 and Edge 530 relate to your definition of one common Training Status, and how I should interpret the two diametrically different statuses in the app?

Adding a ping to   although I fail to see why this should be necessary in his own thread.

• @HermanB.   I share a number of the frustrations others have expressed in earlier posts re understanding and getting the best of the metrics. However, one specific question re Vo2.

I do all my interval type training (ex occasional tempo intervals) on the trainer with heart rate and power (P1 pedals), often based on the Sufferfest app but always recording the ride on my Garmin and uploading the Garmin file to GC. Am I correct that that trainer rides don’t count to the Vo2 analyse/result in GC and, if not, why not? 

Thanks Andrew

• i will try to give you more input, hope for more understanding what we want:

most of us using Zwift, Rouvy, Trainer Road, etc., more or less the software is a Head unit like a Edge or a Fenix or a Forerunner, so you don't need to record the workout on the Garmin devices, because the virtual software do exactly the same.

When the workout on the virtual software is finished, you can send it to Garmin Connect, everything is fine, but the big thing,
    no training load, recovery time, aerob, anerob, etc. will be measured or calculated because Garmin Connect himself can't do this with importing the data.

Think, we all want, that Garmin Connect adds and calculate the Firstbeat Metric to our workouts we have recorded with different virtual Trainer Software for cycling.

Sorry, my english is not the best, but hopefully understandable!

is your question similar to this one, if yes, already pinged for this and hopefully he can help us!

• Thanks but no. As I understand your question, my is different and much more specific . You want to use the file generated by whatever app you are using (trainerroad etc) and be able to send it to GC and have it reflected in the stats. 

I don’t use my suffer fest file for anything other than sufferfest. When I do a trainer ride I always have my Garmin on to generate the usual Garmin fit file which gets uploaded to GC and for example I upload to golden cheetah. My question is why that file is not used by Firstbeat in calculating the Vo2 figure  in GC. the only difference from an outdoor ride recorded on Garmin is that there is no GPS data.

• think we are not so different, i do the recording on Edge 1030 too when i do a workout in Zwift.

When i stop it on Edge, everything of Firstbeat will be calculated and sent to GCM.
    Of course, the speed is different and the meters of climbing(height) are missing from Zwift!

The Zwift file i only use in Strava and Training Peaks, the Edge file in GCM

• Hi Andrew,

As long as you have the required inputs (HR and power) and your activity is long enough (depending on what you are doing the length threshold varies, but usually at least 10-15 mins is enough), your VO2max should be calculated. I assume that "recording the ride on my Garmin" means you are recording the activity as cycling using either an Edge unit or Forerunner/Fenix type watch that has cycling VO2max available (for example, the FR645 doesn't). 

Hope that helps. 

• Question from me @

What is the function of recording HRV values in the 530 / 830? As far as I can see, you can configure the device so that it records HRV (which I indeed turned on), but I haven't seen a place within Garmin that shoes that information.

Is there any further information about Heart Rate Variability, and also how having it enabled for recording within the device changes any of the other information that is stored? Thank you!