This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 not finding/pairing with Powertap G3

Spent the last couple of days on the phone with Garmin trying to trouble shoot this. The hub pairs and works perfectly with my Garmin 500 so I suspected the 520 to be at fault, but to be sure I also took my Powertap to the local dealer to make sure hub's firmware was up-to-date and otherwise functional (it was).

So this evening Garmin finally concluded that it was likely a defective unit and offered me a free exchange (although the rep would not promise that the 520 was actually compatible with the G3 hub).

The kicker (to the nads it feels like) is that the phone rep said Garmin can't get me a replacement Edge 520 for at least three weeks (!!!) So I'm already kind of annoyed and definitely not feeling keen on waiting nearly another month for what could very well be another $300 box-o-disappointment.

Any words of hope/advice from 520/G3 users--does it pair? I'm close to just kicking the whole 520 idea into the bin and sticking with the proven (and honestly pretty dang awesome) Edge 500

Thanks
  • I have a G3 hub and it pairs with the 520 that I use. Do you have any other ANT+ sensors? If so does the Edge find any of those?
  • My 520 has no problem with the G3. Not that it should matter since your 500 works, but I'd at least try a fresh battery in the G3.
  • Yes, my 520 quickly finds and pairs with my other ANT+ sensors (HR monitor, cadence, speed...although I normally only run the HR and Powertap together). And indeed I have already tried replacing the battery in the G3 hub with a fresh one just in case that was the problem.
  • Back from the dead...

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I wonder if anyone else ever noted a similar issue -- or how it was ultimately resolved.

I have an Edge 520, Fenix 3 and several apps that have ANT+ support (Zwift on PC, TrainerRoad on iPhone w/ ANT dongle).

I also have several HRMs, GSC-10 sensors, 3 PowerTap wheels and a Kickr to work with around the house if you include my wife's gear.

The issue I have at the moment is as follows:
    The Edge 520 pairs with all of my sensors except for 1 of my PowerTap G3 wheels. The wheel has the latest firmware and pairs fine with all of my other devices (Fenix 3, Zwift, TR). I tried a new battery and didn't have success either.

The Edge is definitely out of warranty (purchased as a pre-order, so received around 8/2015) and the PowerTap is a recent addition to me (bought used), but for the life of me I can't figure out who is to blame! :) The edge sees all other ANT devices (and a lot of them), but the PowerTap also works fine with everything else.

Perhaps I'll search for a new cap for the G3, but I don't see why I should need to.
  • On the 520 you can manually add a sensor. The Fenix 3 should show you what the ANT ID for the G3 is. Try manually entering that on the Edge.
  • For the life of me I can't seem to find manually adding sensors by ANT+ ID. Any pointer in the right direction?

Will keep searching, I swear i saw it on DCR's blog once upon a time...

Running the latest Edge firmware (11.10)

Thanks!
    Tim
  • Sorry I thought you could, but it does not look like you can on the 520.

If you post the settings.fit file from the F3 and the 520 I can manually put the G3 in the 520 file and see if that works for you.
  • I appreciate and offer and am curious to see the result if you don't mind.

Here is the settings.fit file from edge 520 \Garmin\Settings

The ANT ID I am trying to pair is: 48442

The fenix one is also here (settings_f3.fit)

Much appreciated!
  • Do you have more than one G3? The 520 already has G3 paired with it.
  • Do you have more than one G3? The 520 already has G3 paired with it.

Yes...

For PMs I have:
    Kickr v2
    G3
    PT Pro+
    G3 (that doesn't pair)

I also have a few GSC-10s and HRMs paired.

I tried both removing and disabling the other G3, and when I first noted the problem the Pro+ hub wasn't paired. When trying to find the G3 that it is having trouble with, I walked over to my wife's bike on the trainer, spun the Pro+ hub and it was instantly found (as expected).

So weird that everything pairs fine except for this meter (yet everything AND this meter pair fine with my other devices)

I noted this old thread as well (related to a 510), but it is oddly concerning. http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/81690-cant-pair-edge-510-to-g3-powertap/