This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 not finding/pairing with Powertap G3

Spent the last couple of days on the phone with Garmin trying to trouble shoot this. The hub pairs and works perfectly with my Garmin 500 so I suspected the 520 to be at fault, but to be sure I also took my Powertap to the local dealer to make sure hub's firmware was up-to-date and otherwise functional (it was).

So this evening Garmin finally concluded that it was likely a defective unit and offered me a free exchange (although the rep would not promise that the 520 was actually compatible with the G3 hub).

The kicker (to the nads it feels like) is that the phone rep said Garmin can't get me a replacement Edge 520 for at least three weeks (!!!) So I'm already kind of annoyed and definitely not feeling keen on waiting nearly another month for what could very well be another $300 box-o-disappointment.

Any words of hope/advice from 520/G3 users--does it pair? I'm close to just kicking the whole 520 idea into the bin and sticking with the proven (and honestly pretty dang awesome) Edge 500

Thanks
  • So just to make sure I get all the correct information, on the Fenix 3, what did you call the G3 hub that you would like to appear on the 520?
  • On the F3 it should be named "PT2".

This effort makes me think a nice online settings.fit tool would make a lot of sense :) Commonize paired devices between Garmins (both list and names), edit, backup and save settings -- I assume screens are also setup in their respective activity type fit files?

Maybe I recall seeing a PC tool someone had made that is close? I'll look again.

Thanks again
  • This isn't some hidden limit on the number of ANT+ devices that you can have paired is it? (I seem to recall there being a limit of 20 paired - not necessarily active - devices on one of the sport watches)
  • A valid question, although I don't think it is my problem here.

Why do I say that?

After it wasn't working I thought the same thing, so I removed a device that was already paired. It didn't help me search for my missing device, and then I was able to easily re-pair both the device I had removed and another device that I had lying around that was never paired.

So strange...

It's clearly related to the "powercap" on the PowerTap though, because I did swap those between hubs and noted it followed the cap (makes sense). So I assume a new cap would likely solve this weird incompatibility, but it seems like a really unnecessary $150 to spend because only the Edge isn't seeing it.

I should note that I also reached out to Product Support with the question, but I am not too hopeful for a solution there.
  • The 520 has a limit of 20 paired sensors. It is not near that limit.
  • Try this file. Place it in the Garmin\Newfiles folder
  • Thanks, I will give it a try tonight (missed this message yesterday).

Comically support is claiming that it's obvious my powercap is "the" problem without acknowledging the fenix 3 works fine with the PM. Wish I had a gamut of other devices to test it with, need to send my PowerCap to Ray for analysis... lol

I don't actually expect Support to do much, I just wish there was a better channel to send this type of issue to the devs (from my vantage Support often seems like more of a shield than a good filter).

Honestly most of my interactions with the general Product Support e-mail generally make me wish I had never bothered to try and reach out.

Do you have a custom tool to work with, or just the provided FIT SDK tools?

It looks like the settings file has many undocumented / manuf specific fields?
  • I have done some consultancy work in this space in the past so I have access to some enhanced versions of some of the tools that are covered by NDAs.
  • No luck, unfortunately it still doesn't seem to see the device.

I added the settings file and do see a PT2 listed in my devices, but it keeps blinking like it's searching for a connection... all while my fenix 3 on my wrist taunts me that it found a power meter.

Maybe it's time to try and see if any ANT developer tools can help debug what is so different about this hub with my ANT USB stick.

Thanks for the try though, it even caused me to play with the FIT SDK again, so that's a win.

--- edit ---

I played with SimulANT+ a bit with a few of my sensors and noted one odd thing...

When I create a simulated bike power display on Ch0 of my USB ANT it can't see my PM (like the Edge), but it seems to see my other G3.

If I add more simulated bike power displays on my USB ANT (i.e. Ch1 or Ch2) they can find the PM fine.

I don't know if the Ch# of my simulated device is actually a different RF channel? If so, maybe the cap doesn't follow the standard real well? Yet somehow the fenix and other devices properly scan different channels? Not sure if I'll do much more, maybe if my curiosity gets the best of me.
  • What would be helpful is if you have a friend with either an Edge 520, 820 or 1000 and see if they can pair with this G3. This would help identify if it a problem unique to your 520 or common across other units.

I'm starting to wonder if the 520 might need a reset.

One thing to try is to delete both G3 sensors from the 520 and then try adding the one that we are having the issue with back first. If that fails try a search for all sensors rather than a power meter. If that fails then try adding the other G3 back.

SimulANT allows logging of the traffic. Let me take look at the tool and see what options it is providing you with. We may need to log some data from both units and see if there is any difference.