This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to send route on mobile phone to 520 plus

Can someone please walk me through how i can plan a route on my mobile (android) and send it to the edge 520 plus? The 520plus is brilliant when following a route but it cannot be used when one has gone off the route and need the unit to dynamically re-route to the destination. On a ride recently that had gone away from the planned route the 520 plus continued to insist i make a u-turn and refused to re-route. And when it did re-route it didn't see that we were only like 3km away from the destination and continued to insist on it's original route.

If i get seriously lost - I think i'll prefer to abandon the edge 520plus' routing function and create my own route to load it back to the 520 plus.

What's the best android routing app to use?

Is Garmin connect the only way to bring routes into the 520 plus? Can someone please show how to load a route into garmin connect and then into the 520 plus?
  • My latest workflow on a Android phone:

1.Create a route on osmand (also availible without internet connection)
    2.Share the route directly from osmand to gexporter
    3.Open connect iq app on edge 520+
    4.Download the route
    5.Start the route

• https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/quickly-creating-devices.html

he's showing an iphone app, but there are android recommendations in the comments.

This is basically the way I do it too. I've also used the Komoot app and CIQ app and it works quite well but you have to pay or find codes to unlock regions.
  • Tried Komoot and looks very well,. great website great android app, pitty that when opening in garmin 520+ you can't do anything with it without buying regions.
    and can't find any codes for the Netherlands or Belgium.
  • My latest workflow on a Android phone:

1.Create a route on osmand (also availible without internet connection)
    2.Share the route directly from osmand to gexporter
    3.Open connect iq app on edge 520+
    4.Download the route
    5.Start the route

I already was quite fond of OSMAnd, but now I really love it. It's really easy this way! It isn't really necessary to use gexporter. It is also possible to create a route within OSMAnd and share it to File commander (or likewis) in order to save it. In the file browser of choice then click on it (on the phone) and choose Garmin mobile.

• I already was quite fond of OSMAnd, but now I really love it. It's really easy this way! It isn't really necessary to use gexporter. It is also possible to create a route within OSMAnd and share it to File commander (or likewis) in order to save it. In the file browser of choice then click on it (on the phone) and choose Garmin mobile.

It's really the best and easiest and I also love it!

There is on big issue, your workflow need a internet connection.

Can't you directly share the route from OSMAnd to Garmin mobile with the share button?
  • Thanks for this. I was able to do it on my iPhone X. It was very difficult to do. I am surprised Garmin CONNECT does not have a better interface to do this.  No wonder people just bike with their iPhones mounted. So much easier. Garmin needs to make it more user friendly