This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Adding or changing maps? Multiple maps?

I just got my North American 520 PLUS, but I'm headed to France for a tour. I've downloaded OpenStreet maps for France. Should I use the DC Rainmaker technique for swapping the USA for France map. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html or is there a way have multiple maps on it? Or is there a new technique for this upgraded unit.
  • You can place multiple maps on the unit, just make sure they have a unique file name. The approach outlined for the 520 was because it did not support having maps so people were tricking the system by using the one map name supported by the 520.
  • How detailed is the US map? On the 520 I created a 66Mb map for my local area MA, NH. wondering if I'm better off using that from Open Street Maps or just using the default that comes with the 520 plus? My 520 plus is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so unit not in hand yet....just planning ahead :)
  • wondering if I'm better off using that from Open Street Maps or just using the default that comes with the 520 plus?

The maps included with the new Gamins are Open Street Map maps. The use a different style (they look different) but should work the same.
  • You can place multiple maps on the unit, just make sure they have a unique file name. The approach outlined for the 520 was because it did not support having maps so people were tricking the system by using the one map name supported by the 520.

This is also what I understood, but wonder how this function works exactly. Does anyone know how you can 'tell' the device to use a certain map? Now I copied an Openstreetmap .img file into the Custom Maps folder, but not sure what to do further. Thanks!
  • To change maps you need to go
    settings>activity profiles>(select your profile)>navigation>map>map information

On a related note, since these maps are openstreet, can we share the ones that came with our devices
  • To change maps you need to go
    settings>activity profiles>(select your profile)>navigation>map>map information

On a related note, since these maps are openstreet, can we share the ones that came with our devices

do you know how to change between the US and European maps (the "official" ones)?
  • Recently purchased a 520 plus, with NA maps installed. Going to Europe soon for a ride. Purchased and downloaded the Garmin Cycle map for Europe. Went to install maps with Garmin Express (have to use v6.7.0.0). Immediately received error "insufficient storage" on the 520+. Chated with Garmin tech support and was told they were well aware that there was not enough space on the 520+ for both NA and EU maps. Was given a not so elegant work around:

1) Move the NA maps to another location OFF the device, These maps would have a file extension of (.img). Move all the files to the Desktop. (Specifically; gmapdem.img and gmapprom.img)

2) Download EU maps through Garmin Express to the 520+

3) After download, delete the provided D4728090A.img file(in the custom maps folder) (this is the unused EU GeoCode map) which can cause (Can't Unlock Maps)

4) After download of EU maps, I found there is not enough space to replace the NA maps on device (there was only 5gb of available storage on my 520+) therefor I guessed through trial and error that half of the NA map was in the gmapprom.img file and covered my area of Eastern Canada. file size was about 2gb so had enough space to install. Simply drag and drop from Mac hard drive back to it's proper place on the 520+

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]5) You will find new EU maps will be installed in custom maps folder[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]6) Original NA maps are after the “Diag” folder, I just dropped it into the place were it was before.

I now have partial NA cycle maps and all EU cycle maps installed on my 520+

The above process worked for me, but is not pretty, and so far not officially documented by Garmin[/FONT]
  • One more thing, both NA and EU maps were found to be enabled after download, so no need to enable or disable maps.
  • Strato, how can both NA and EU be on your 520+? Aren't both image files named gmapbmap.img? I am trying to use the http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ of France to augment my NA Garmin 520+ map. Thanks.
  • No, Actually, when I downloaded the Europe cycle maps using Garmin Express, they were deposited in the Custom Map folder and used different file names for all .img files, I guess this is how the 520+ can distinguish between maps. I also discovered that the Europe cycle map is not one map, it's three separate maps, Europe Northeast, Europe Southwest, and a third one that seems to be South America.