This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Adding or changing maps? Multiple maps?

I just got my North American 520 PLUS, but I'm headed to France for a tour. I've downloaded OpenStreet maps for France. Should I use the DC Rainmaker technique for swapping the USA for France map. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html or is there a way have multiple maps on it? Or is there a new technique for this upgraded unit.
  • No, Actually, when I downloaded the Europe cycle maps using Garmin Express, they were deposited in the Custom Map folder and used different file names for all .img files, I guess this is how the 520+ can distinguish between maps. I also discovered that the Europe cycle map is not one map, it's three separate maps, Europe Northeast, Europe Southwest, and a third one that seems to be South America.

wait. South America is included in Europe?
  • After recent travel to Europe with some success adding a regional map to my U.S. version Garmin 520+, I thought I'd share what I did to my 520+ to add a supplemental map. The steps needed for me to do this were contained in the posts above in this thread, but were just cryptic enough that I thought summarizing them would be helpful for someone unsure of what to do.

Step 1 - read DC Rainmaker's excellent article on open source mapping carefully - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html - and pay particular attention to the section on creating maps for the Edge 520.
    Step 2 - go to the open source site that DC Rainmaker recommends - http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl - and create the regional map you need for your upcoming trip, holiday, etc. Don't get carried away building a huge map (see below).
    Step 3 - after you have downloaded the file set per DC Rainmaker's instructions and the website directions, select the image file "gmapsupp.img" from the file set and rename it to something creative - and unique so there isn't any duplication with the existing files on your Garmin. I went to the Bordeaux area of France so I renamed my new file "gmapbord.img"
    Step 4 - You will notice that on your Garmin 520+, that for every .img file there is a corresponding .sum file of the same name. I have no idea what this file is for. However, I made one to "match" the new .img file that I just downloaded. In my case, I copied an existing file on my Garmin 520+ named "gmapprom.sum" and then renamed this new copy as "gmapbord.sum"
    Step 5 - I then added these two new .img and .sum files to the same directory on the Garmin as the other map base files, and then turned on the Garmin. It recognized the additional map file with no additional steps needed.

When I was in Bordeaux last week, I used my Garmin on a short check ride and it worked "like a charm," as they say.

Please note - since, in using this method, we're not removing the US base maps, you don't have unlimited memory to add new maps. This method should work for you if you traveling to a defined area - say one country in Europe - and don't need to add an entire continent to you Garmin. The new 520+ has a ton of memory compared to the old 520, but don't get carried away. Make sure the file you create will fit on your Garmin with some space to spare.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but this worked for me. Cheers to all...
  • img files, I guess this is how the 520+ can distinguish between maps. I also discovered that the Europe cycle map is not one map, it's three separate maps, Europe Northeast, Europe Southwest, and a third one that seems to be South America. ">FetLife">FetLife ">IMVU">IMVU ">Canva">Canva
  • Similar problem. I have an Edge 520. Got Open Street maps for Portsmouth NH area. Now in Naples FL for winter. Can't get new maps ... error messages like "failed to stream" and more. Any suggestions?
  • Similar problem. I have an Edge 520. Got Open Street maps for Portsmouth NH area. Now in Naples FL for winter. Can't get new maps ... error messages like "failed to stream" and more. Any suggestions?

Do you have a 520 or a 520 Plus? A 520 only allows one map file that must be named "gmapbmap.img" in order to function properly, and must be less than 85-90 MB in size. The 520 Plus has loads of memory and can accommodate multiple .img files with unique names, such as "gmapABCD.img" and gmapEFGH.img", etc.

If you have a 520 (non-plus), be sure your gmapbmap.img file is in the correct location in your Garmin's file directory.

I hope this helps!