Edge 130 Plus restart during course activity with custom course points

Hello,

as the title says, I have an issue with the Edge 130 Plus restarting during course activity on which I added custom course points (i.e Energy Gel).
This is very annoying since I'm using custom course points as a big helpers during my XCM races, and it's very important to me to work as expected.
It takes about 10-20s to restart, to connect all sensors again and waiting for me to press play again to continue where it stops.
This is very easy to reproduce.
Just make a custom course (or edit existing one) in Garmin Connect and add at least 1 custom course point.
Regarding notification settings, everything is set correctly as it is described here for the iOS, since this is my 3rd Garmin device for the last 10 years.
Regarding sensors that are attached to Edge are Garmin Rally XC100 powermeter pedals, speed sensor, and Garmin HR strap.

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Workaround is to use General Point type of custom points!!!
  • Hi,

I am expecting very similar issue - I create a route in a 3rd party maps (mapy.cz) and import them via GPX file. The the Edge 130 plus crashes exactly like you described on every roundabout. I takes cca 20 secs to restart but it's very annoying especially in areas with lots of turnarounds. Anyone experiencing this behaviour?

Thanks, Matej

• Hi,

I generated a course with garmin connect and the device (garmin edge 130) kept restarting close to a roundabout if I am in the navigation mode. I can reproduce this and is pretty annoying and I lost my track from Saturday.

Best,

Kas

• Hello, I’m experiencing the same issue. I'm using bikerouter.de to generate courses. When I import the course into Garmin Connect and then send it to my device, the Edge 130 Plus crashes when approaching roundabouts.

However, when I copy the .fit file directly to the course folder via USB, there is no issue, but the turn-by-turn navigation does not work.

• I just tried to reproduce this on my Edge 130 Plus, but it actually worked fine. I was navigating a course, and the course included one custom course point, and multiple roundabouts. (but the course point was not on or near a roundabout). Any suggestions for how I could reproduce the problem? I created the course in Garmin Connect.

• Thanks for your comment.
    Since it is showing you only a flag icon when you arrive to the point (it means you are using a General custom point), try to add other type of custom points, like Energy Gel or Drink, test again and let us know.

• Thanks Rus, but I edited my reply to delete my comment regarding the lack of text for the course point, because I found an existing thread about this ridiculous limitation. (the workaround is to show the data field "location at next" - this will show the label text for the course point)
    Back to  the issue at hand  though - can anyone help me to reproduce the problem? I'd like to understand exactly what conditions cause the unit to restart.

• Ok, now I understand why you can't reproduce it.
    As I mentioned in the previous reply, you are using General Point type of custom points on your course, and I tested it today, and it turns out they are working as expected.
    But, if you try to use Energy Gel or Sports Drink type of custom points, as I'm using on this test course here, it will restart.
    I also recorded a video of that course and Edge 130 Plus behaviour (you can find here).

By the way, thanks for the General Point type of custom point workaround.

• Ah! *Now* I understand what you were trying to tell me - apologies. I'll report back after I've tried those types of points.

• Sure enough, both those point types cause my unit to restart too. (what a relief - I felt left out!)