This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Switching On and Off while connected to PC

Hello.

My Edge 130 Plus constantly switches On and Off every 2 - 5 seconds while connected to PC, so it is not recognized by Garmin Express or Windows. I tried every USB port on PC, changed cable, restarted PC, reset Edge, reinstalled Garmin Express... My Venu 2 Plus or my mobile phone have no problem with connection. Edge 130 works normally while connected to charger. This weird behavior occurs only while connected to USB port on PC.

Can anybody help with this problem? Thank you.

• First thing, make sure the USB port on the Edge is clean from any dirt, use a small brush or air compressor. Then, try turning the Edge ON before you plug it in, and wait a few seconds to be detected. If that doesn't help, download Nirsoft's USBDeview (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html), launch it, go to Options and make sure "Display Disconnected Devices" is checked. Sort by Description, and for any Garmin device you see, right-click and select "Uninstall Selected Devices". Reboot your PC, turn ON the Edge and connect it to a USB port with the original cable. If you use other cables, make sure they are not charge-only, but good quality USB data cables (charge-only cables are usually thinner, they come with devices like rechargeable flashlights or Bluetooth speakers, they look identical to proper USB cables but they are not).

If nothing works and it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting, try plugging it into another PC and see if it does the same. Should it keep having the same behavior, I'm afraid there is something wrong with it, maybe a faulty USB port.

• Thank you for your response and suggestions.

My Edge 130 is brand new and it was the first time i tried to connect it to PC, so there shouldn't be any problem with the USB port. I tried to connect it turned ON and also OFF but it's behavior was the same. I used Device Manager to uninstall and reinstall Edge, no success. I also used USBDeview as you suggested but device was still recognized only for a few seconds and then it disconnected. I used original cable from the product package.

According to Edge's display, it seems that when Edge is connected to USB, it physically turns On and Off. When connected, there is USB icon and battery percentage visible on the display but when it is disconnected there is only GARMIN inscription visible. These two states change repeatedly. 

All written above I tried on 2 years old laptop with Win11. Then I tried to connect it to my old desktop with Win10 and, surprisingly, there was no problem with device connecting and recognizing. Once it connected, it stayed connected without problem. I am a bit confused... I googled a bit and I found a post where a guy describes the same problem when connecting Edge to laptop doesn't work and to desktop does.

Edge seems to be OK. Maybe there is some software problem in OS. A few times i saw error message "Device descriptor request failed" in Device Manager. Then disconnecting stopped, Edge wasn't recognized by OS but it was only charging via USB port of the laptop. 

Thank you for help.

• Looks like you did everything right on your laptop, it's really odd you could not get the Edge to connect properly. At the end, though, I'm glad you got it working with your old desktop... 

One thing you can try on the laptop is to go into the BIOS and see if there is an option for legacy USB support, or something along those lines. Regardless of how it's configured, change it and see if it makes a difference.