This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map zoom not scrolling while riding

Hi wheelers out there!

I love my 130plus, my first headunit Slight smile

When on a course and I look at the map normal zoom it draws and shows me where I am and moves, if I zoom in it just stick and I ride off the page

Should it scroll?, does yours?

If it should then I'll contact garmin etc, I have factory reset it etc

Keep spinning - Thanks Simon - UK LE11

• It doesn't scroll automatically. You probably know that you can scroll anywhere yourself with the buttons (applause to that feature). And you probably noticed that after leaving this zoom-and-pan mode, it immediately centers the arrow but doesn't reset the zoom level (to 0.3 km in metric) until after a while (seconds up to minutes, don't know why).

Sometimes it would help to scroll automatically but I can't think of the rule it should adhere to. I wouldn't want it to scroll the self-arrow to the center because then I'd have to zoom out more to see the route. Sometimes I zoom and scroll myself out of view and then ride into the picture. Or I miss and wish it would have scrolled.

I (and others in this forum) wish they could change the zoom level of the normal, self-centric view. For instance, to bring the route into view when you're not on it. It does that automatically to a fairly useful way if you've first followed the route and haven't looked at another route since, but there's no automatic or manual zoom otherwise.

• Change the zoom level, then click on the Return button (bottom-left on the unit, next to Start/Stop) to confirm your choice. Unfortunately the 130 Plus will reset to its default zoom level if you scroll through data screens.

• The 130 Plus will also reset to its default zoom level if you don't touch it at all, while following a route, if automatic zoom is enabled. As far as I know, this automatic zoom checkbox causes the device to zoom out when you get far enough off the route you have been following. Now I wonder if turning off that checkbox indeed allows you to pick a zoom level manually for the rest of the ride (or until you look at another data screen or presumably the menu).

• Yes, with Auto Zoom turned off, it stays on the manually-set zoom level (unless you touch it, in which case it will revert to its default zoom level).

• The picture is actually more rosy than that: there's several ways you can "touch it" without resetting the zoom level, like firing up the backlight, browsing the menu and inspecting or editing stuff including data pages, except - as you would expect - editing the data page that contains the map. As far as I experimented, the only ordinary use case that kills the zoom level is scrolling. Either manually or using the Auto Scroll feature.

Even better, if Auto Zoom is on but you forgot and manually choose a zoom level only to see it reset to the default zoom level a while later, then you just need to turn off Auto Zoom and it immediately reverts to the zoom level you had chosen before.

PS on the other hand, the zoom level resets (as if Auto Zoom is on) while navigating to a point as opposed to following a course or not navigating. Somehow Garmin thinks it's vital to zoom into a straight line towards the destination.

PPS on the third hand, a workaround for navigating to a point is creating a course that contains only that point and navigating with that. You don't get a straight line towards the point, the page with the arrow still points to a mystery location as it does while navigating any course, but you can zoom out the map enough to see the point. The distance-to-next and distance-to-destination field both tell the distance to the point. You do loose one of the limited slots for courses and you do get the "playful" music reaching the destination. Alternatively, navigate with a genuine course starting at the desired point but going off away from where you are. You can still zoom out to see the start of that course and distance-to-next still says how far the point is, only distance-to-destination is misleading.

• Thanks all for your valued I put, seems its not as good as we think it could be